Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I do it?
scutter

posted on 13/7/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Can I do it?

Well the old carbs are getting on my t**s, So i've been reading up on megasquirt'n'spark.

The truth of the matter is I haven't got a clue then i comes to electronics, is this going to hinder me?

Would I be able to get away with buying all of the equipment i need and bolting it on? or do i really need to grasp the system at grassroots level? I think I can run the Megatune program without too much worries but all the basic equations and maths may blow up my engine just because i got them wrong.

Honest opinions welcome Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
billy

posted on 13/7/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
you just gotto go for it m8

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

rayward

posted on 13/7/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
did you wire your car yourself???.

if you did then i'm pretty sure the megasquirt installation is well within your capabilities.

its a good idea, to tackle either the squirt or spark first, so maybe leave your spark setup as is until you get the FI side working, then tackle the spark aftwerwards.

always plenty of people on here to help if you get stuck.

Ray

Monkeybasher

posted on 13/7/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you have enough time and are keen enough you will succeed. It took ages of reading for me but I have no regrets. It must be treated as a project to get your teeth into. Not a cheap bolt on solution.
donut

posted on 13/7/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
You know that there are plenty of people on here who will guide you in the right direction!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clutch_kick

posted on 14/7/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
While we're on the subject ... what is a realistic price for a complete megasquirt installation, that is ... ECU, loom, map sensor, TPS, IACV, Injectors, coil packs, RPM Pick-up etc?
martyn_16v

posted on 14/7/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clutch_kick
While we're on the subject ... what is a realistic price for a complete megasquirt installation, that is ... ECU, loom, map sensor, TPS, IACV, Injectors, coil packs, RPM Pick-up etc?

Depends on the engine, and how much you need to source for it. My current install on a previously K-Jet (mechanical fuel injection) engine is just under £500, but that includes over £100 on a wideband lambda sensor that isn't totally necessary. On an engine that already had factory EFI it can be done for under £200.

The biggest expenses apart from the ECU itself are the inlet manifold and fuel pump(s) if it was a carbed car. If there are suitable parts from a later derivative of engine that will fit then you can save money. All of the sensors etc can be robbed from a scrappy for peanuts.

02GF74

posted on 14/7/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
if you are not clued up with electronics, then I would recommend the ready built MS instead of the kit - these appear on ebay.

from what I read, it is installed and tested in stages.

I doubt you would destroy the engine. Either the engine runs or it doesn't or else it runs but badly - you should be able to turn it off if you think/hear/see it running badly.

MS has a default setting to allo limp home mode and you would investiage any problems then fine tune it - it is only if you have the tuning done, and go driving it when you could cause damage.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.