Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Transplant for the Truck
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Transplant for the Truck

I currently run an 02 L200 animal which is a great truck if a little athsmatic at times. I have done all the obvious/easy things to release power and to be fair it drives ok now but mpg is terrible.

I was thinking about how easy it would be throw in a more refined/modern diesel lump from an Audi ,Volvo etc. Hoping for better drive more power and better mpg.
I know it could be tricky wrt to Ecu and electrics. But having a whole donor car it would be possible wouldn't it??

not really worried about mating to the box.

Anyone done anything like this with a modern diesel? I'd love to get the Volvo D5 in there.

[Edited on 22/11/12 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

wylliezx9r

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen one with a supra engine. I think what you are thinking of would be a serious head ache and uneconomical. Anything is possible though I suppose.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

MikeR

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
one word. insurance!
steve m

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
WHY
snakebelly

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Why not?

Sounds like a cool project and at 10 years old its the perfect time, good enough condition to bother but old enough that if it all goes wrong you haven't lost your shirt.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I can always count on Steve to be the most pesimistic person in the room, glass half empty again Steve

What would be the insurance impact be? Obviously it'd go up but it cant be that bad can it.

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
WHY

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

steve m

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Liam

just voicing my opinion, but presume , no ones is as important as your own

Steve

r1_pete

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
with the costs involved you'd probably be as well chopping it in against a post 2006 model.

I get 38mpg regular from my 2010 Bull, abd thats with the 168 bhp chip.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I know the most sensible thing to do would be a post 06 model but I really prefer the classic and the truck is a half project vehicle. Going to be doing some offroad.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

r1_pete

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
How about the engine and trans from an 06 on model? maybe not the boost you're after though...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
before I even read the last line of your original post I was thinking Volvo D5. Cracking engine and I hate diesels.

They're quite pricey though so you would be loads better with a full donor to recoup some cash.

If you've got the time and patience go for it.

owelly

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 2005 Cherokee and it had an excellent engine! It pulled like a train. The Jeep was 18 months old when I bought it and the engine was the only thing it had going for it! There's a few in the scrapyards now so a donor shouldn't be too hard to find. Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Ninehigh

posted on 23/11/12 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
one word. insurance!

Yeah I can see that now
You I've put a Volvo D5 engine in it
Insurance Bod Ok (tap tap) can I put you on hold? (Goes to supervisor) Got a guy here done a modification not on the list...
Supervisor Has he already done it?
IB I think so
S Hmm, charge him another 3 grand then

mad4x4

posted on 23/11/12 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
one word. insurance!

Yeah I can see that now
Insurance Bod Ok (tap tap) can I put you on hold? (Goes to supervisor) Got a guy here done a modification not on the list...
IB I think so

Oh the Optimisuim that washes over this forum... when we go "non standard".....

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MikeRJ

posted on 23/11/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4

This is less about the actual modifying, and more to do with peoples (poor) experiences of insurance companies.

sdh2903

posted on 23/11/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Would there really be an issue with insurance? it's only changing the cc from 2500 to 2400 at the end of the day. As long as you do the engine numbers with dvla then it would all be legit. I can't really see them being that bothered. Would obviously depend on which insurer your with.

NS Dev

posted on 27/11/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
do what I do, say f*** the fuel consumption, stick a merc straight 6 diesel on mech pump in there and wind the boost and fuel up.

You'll only get 10 to the gallon but you'll get there fast!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hJCPLmRBo[/youtube]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Not Anumber

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Early Volvo 5 pot diesel (made by Audi) as fitted to early V70 turbodiesel is a cracker of an engine with fairly simple electronics that would be straightforward to transplant . Later (volvo's own) common rail version is a bit more powerful, simpler mechanically but more electronics to work round.
Merc 320 cdi straight 6 is a fantastic engine if youve got the space for it. Ive worked a fair bit on one of these recently. Hefty thing on an engine hoist but pulls like a train with nearly 200bhp without any mods and fantastic ecconomy on any sort of a run and ive had 50 mpg out of one in a fully laden estate car on a long run at a steady 65mph. Not sure how simple the electronics would be to transfer though.

Ninehigh

posted on 27/11/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
one word. insurance!

Yeah I can see that now
IB I think so

Actually that's how I believe insurance companies work, they just press a button on the random number generator and add a 0 to the end

morcus

posted on 27/11/12 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Does seem that way especially since it usually only works one way like badging your 316 as an M3 puts up your insurace if you tell them, yet debadging your M3/328 also puts up you insurance.

I reckon though with this it wouldn't have that big an effect assuming the OP is over 25 but might mean having to find a speciallist insurer.

If your gonna say sod fuel consumption, why not go for a V8? On a more sensible note, though I don't really know what I'm talking about, how about a PSA V6 like the one in an S-type? Of the top of my head I believe it makes about 200bhp in the jag and can be found in lots of Pugs and citroens, though still fairly new.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.