Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Australian vehicle approval regs
alistairolsen

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Australian vehicle approval regs

Doe anyone know where to get a copy? From memory they detail stringent tests for chassis stiffness and so on even for steel chassis? Does anyone know if there's guidance for composite designs in there?

Someone I know on another forum is interested in designing a composite monocoque and the UK regs are a bit light on info, basically because no one bothers!

Cheers

My Build Thread

mookaloid

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
RichardK (on here) recently moved down under and exported his Locost - he might have something.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

RichardK

posted on 10/5/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I believe a lot depends where in Oz you would be registering the vehicles as each area have their own regulation and differ significantly from state to state, NSW = really hard, WA = Easiest

Probably the best forum to ask is http://www.ozclubbies.com.au/

Cheers

Rich

P.s g'day Mooky, hope you're well, bet the track car will be finished by now eh?

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 10/5/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is this designing a chassis to be built over in Oz? Or are you importing your car over here, if you've owned the car for more than 12 months it can come over as a personal import and its pretty easy and you bypass most of the regulations.

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 11/5/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Designing and building the car for use in the UK, just I know the Australian regs are far mor prescriptive in terms of chassis design for spaceframes than the IVA test here, so wondered if they'd have any specific guidance on composites, or chassis stiffness, or loading conditions for FE analysis?

Cheers

My Build Thread

iank

posted on 11/5/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try a u2u to TheGecko
He has pictures of his chassis test (steel not composite) in this thread so he must have the regs or contact details to one of the engineers they use.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/26/viewthread.php?tid=81924

Looks like 3800Nm/degree is the figure he had to achieve in his state, but I'm sure that's not the end of the story.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.