Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel return again
melly-g

posted on 24/1/18 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel return again

Can I T the return into my breather, so I don't have to add another fitting into my tank?
I only have a breather that goes to the filler neck.

craigdiver

posted on 24/1/18 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
wouldn’t think so, if you blocked the return line (by fixing it to the sealed fuel tank) then it would be at the same pressure as the main fuel line

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

melly-g

posted on 24/1/18 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
No the tank isn't sealed as such.
I need a return to it from a swirl pot, so was asking if i put a T piece into the breather which is on top of the tank and is just a pipe up to the filler neck would that cause any issues?
If it does I will have to add another fitting into the tank for the return feed.
The breather has no one way valve in it, just a pipe to the top of the filler neck.

CosKev3

posted on 24/1/18 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Not ideal I wouldn't say,as surely if you have a constant flow threw return you will effectively be stopping your tank breathing?
40inches

posted on 24/1/18 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
When I went EFI I used the breather as the return and fitted an Aircraft fuel tank connector at the base of the filler tube, for the breather
http://www.parts4aircraft.com/fuel-tank-fitting-c2x9383165

melly-g

posted on 24/1/18 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
The tank must be breathing through the filler cap as I have no other breather.
I don't know why I fitted breather pipe from the top/middle of the tank to the filler neck which is in the top rear corner of the tank anyway? the breather is essentially redundant isn't it! I could have just not put a fitting in the middle and blanked off the one on the neck couldn't I?
I suppose I can try it blanked off with my return to the old breather and if i have issues replace what is there now and add a new fitting.
Thinking about it more the breather now would only help remove any air at the top of the tank whilst filling up, but it's a flat topped tank so shouldn't be an issue.

SPYDER

posted on 24/1/18 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
If the tank breathes through the filler cap ( like mine does ) then it'll be breathing through the filler hose anyway. Just feed the fuel return directly into the breather connection on the tank and forget the breather. That's what I have done. I have restricted the low pressure flow to the swirl pot and therefore the amount returning.
The only downside has been that I have to refuel a little more slowly to allow the displaced air to come back through the filler.

melly-g

posted on 24/1/18 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I'll give that a go. I don't mind taking a bit more time filling up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.