Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash quick release fasteners
Hakuraa

posted on 26/3/19 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Dash quick release fasteners

HI,
I have a MAC1 and the dash was bolted to the scuttle with 6 nuts/bolts which are awkward to undo and probably even worse to refasten. The dash is 3mm thick carbon effect, the scuttle 3mm fibreglass and the gap between 17mm, so total front to back distance 23mm. I would like to fit quick release fasteners but do not know what length or even which type to go for. Any one have any advice please?
Cheers,
Andy.

davspeed

posted on 26/3/19 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is 2mm aluminium fastened to 13mm round tube and I used rivnuts, good job as it has been out several times since fitting it.
Slater

posted on 26/3/19 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I used 7 dome head bolts on the front of dash with a wing nut on the back to hold them on. Just need to put hand up behind dash to find the wing nuts, which can be tricky, but I can remove dash in 2 mins.

Rivnuts in a small section of ali and then bonded inside your scuttle will work too.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

loggyboy

posted on 26/3/19 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Would a couple/few of these be too big? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Bonnet-Catch-Push-Button-Quick-Release-Hood-Pins-Latch-Protectors-Lock-set/312529750460
Paul_Arion

posted on 26/3/19 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on how "locost" you want to keep it, might be worth looking into a variety of 1/4 turn fasteners also - Pro-bolt etc

1/4 turn fastener

Hakuraa

posted on 27/3/19 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, will look in to these.
jps

posted on 1/4/19 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
I used 7 dome head bolts on the front of dash with a wing nut on the back to hold them on. Just need to put hand up behind dash to find the wing nuts, which can be tricky, but I can remove dash in 2 mins.

Rivnuts in a small section of ali and then bonded inside your scuttle will work too.

Good shout on the wingnuts - I can't remember the last time I saw one!

I am fixing my front bulkhead panel to the chassis, but with a removable GRP scuttle, and have been mulling over what fixings to use to secure the upright part of the bulkhead to the scuttle. So good to see the ideas here.

CosKev3

posted on 1/4/19 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192847229836

Work spot on,dash is removed with ease.

I used pieces of heater hose stuck to the back of the dash with Tiger seal as spacers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.