Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busa and IVA
Mickrick

posted on 7/11/20 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Busa and IVA

Hi there, new on here, so please be gentle
I have posted on the IVA section, but thought this side may be more relevant.
I was wondering if there would be any issues with getting a Gen. 1 Hayabusa engined car through current emissions test on the IVA. I don't have a donor bike yet for my Seven, but have seen a very low milage bike that I would consider buying if it's a feasible idea.

TIA.

CosKev3

posted on 7/11/20 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Will be fine aslong as you have it running with either a power commander or a aftermarket ECU you can tune.
Fit a standard 400 cell CAT just to get it through.

Mickrick

posted on 7/11/20 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
That sound promising. Thank you Sir
padrc66

posted on 9/11/20 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
i'm not sure how much difference there is between Gen1 and Gen2 but my Gen 2 (2010) engined car sailed through the IVA emissions with the standard bike ECU and the standard bike catalyst. I see no reason to mess with the ECU, the engine behaves the same in the car as the bike (standard intake as well).

it's a fantastic engine for a BEC, pulls virtually from idle and returns 40-45 mpg as well.

CosKev3

posted on 9/11/20 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by padrc66
i'm not sure how much difference there is between Gen1 and Gen2 but my Gen 2 (2010) engined car sailed through the IVA emissions with the standard bike ECU and the standard bike catalyst. I see no reason to mess with the ECU, the engine behaves the same in the car as the bike (standard intake as well).

it's a fantastic engine for a BEC, pulls virtually from idle and returns 40-45 mpg as well.

That's because you've used the standard intake!

99% of kit cars can't fit the standard intake under the bonnet,so use big open foam filters which then needs some form of being able to tune the engine.

Have you run yours on a rolling road to check the fueling?

It will probably not be running bang on,as you've fitted a different exhaust manifold which normally in kit cars flow better than a bike manifold,so then the engine risks running lean.

Mickrick

posted on 9/11/20 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds very positive! thank you so much.
I suppose the Gen 2, could have a different emission rating, I'm not sure either.
Good to know you're happy with it and that it pulls from low down.
Did you have papers for the bike you used the engine from, or where you not asked for them? I don't want to end up with a Q plate.

CosKev3

posted on 9/11/20 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need any paperwork for proof of where engine came from.
If it's a kit car based on a road car,single donor,you only need the V5 from the donor car to get a age related registration.
If you are going for a brand new registration you will need to 'fabricate' some paperwork saying the engine is reconditioned to as new condition.

Mickrick

posted on 9/11/20 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
There is no donor car. Everything is brand new. I've been building it since 2007... I do have a box full of receipts for everything I've bought though.

[Edited on 9/11/20 by Mickrick]

padrc66

posted on 9/11/20 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
i was in the same position as you, no donor car, but mine ended up on a Q plate as i had no evidence that the engine was 'as new'. as far as i know it had only done a few hundred miles and everything else was new except the front brake callipers and steering column. Maybe i should have tried harder to get a new reg but i was more concerned that i knew everything was new and getting on the road - too late now!

i'm not too worried about the standard ECU,i tried to replicate the bike exhaust manifold and link pipes as closely as possible although they are definitely longer. The airbox is reversed to lower it a bit but the height is less of a problem on mine as its mid-engined. Nearly 3000 miles covered now without a single running problem so hopefully it'll be OK!

Mickrick

posted on 9/11/20 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
That's why I'll buy a complete bike with a V5, then they can't say the vehicle is of unknown origin. I was looking at a Jap import on NOVA, and was wondering if I would need to register it if I had all the Japanese paperwork, but for what it would cost, I think it's worth doing to be sure.
CosKev3

posted on 9/11/20 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mickrick
That's why I'll buy a complete bike with a V5, then they can't say the vehicle is of unknown origin. I was looking at a Jap import on NOVA, and was wondering if I would need to register it if I had all the Japanese paperwork, but for what it would cost, I think it's worth doing to be sure.

I don't understand how buying a bike with a V5 will make any difference?

If you want a new reg you need to fabricate some paperwork to say the engine is reconditioned to as new condition,or get it reconditioned and get proof.
If you clean the engine up and paint it etc and print yourself off a invoice from a made up engine shop jobs a good un.
The only time you need a donor V5 is when you are going for a age related plate,then you must use eight major parts of the donor vehicle iirc to qualify for the age related plate.

Mickrick

posted on 9/11/20 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just thinking the V5 will be proof of origin for the engine. ? The rest of the stuff I have receipts. The chassis was brand new from Caterham with all the relevant paperwork.
CosKev3

posted on 9/11/20 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Where does it say you need to prove the origin of the engine?

For a new reg the engine needs to be brand new out of a crate,or reconditioned to as new condition with a invoice as proof.

Mickrick

posted on 10/11/20 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
OK. Fair enough. I'm not bothered about a new reg, I just don't want a Q reg. I don't know, that's why I brought it up on here. I just thought that the engine is considered a major part of the car, therefore I thought I may need to show where it's come from. Actually it would be better if I had an age related plate, as then I would only have to meet emission standards for that year no? Again, I'm just speculating because I don't know. Hence asking for some facts on here from people that have already done it.

[Edited on 10/11/20 by Mickrick]

Deckman001

posted on 10/11/20 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know,
Age related plates are based upon the donor vehicle for all the major parts. A new plate must have brand new engine or completely refurbished by a company as well as completely refurbished parts and receipts for those refurbished parts to make it a new vehicle. Q plates are for vehicles of multi origin.

Jason

CosKev3

posted on 10/11/20 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mickrick
OK. Fair enough. I'm not bothered about a new reg, I just don't want a Q reg. I don't know, that's why I brought it up on here. I just thought that the engine is considered a major part of the car, therefore I thought I may need to show where it's come from. Actually it would be better if I had an age related plate, as then I would only have to meet emission standards for that year no? Again, I'm just speculating because I don't know. Hence asking for some facts on here from people that have already done it.

[Edited on 10/11/20 by Mickrick]

You've already stated you don't have a donor vehicle, so age related plate is not a option.

You've got two choices, Q reg or brand new reg!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.