Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake caliper repaint
mikeb

posted on 27/5/21 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Brake caliper repaint

I've refurbed the front calipers on my tin top. Involved a complete strip down, wire brush, degrease, some kurust stuff.
I then did 5 coats of brake caliper paint. Finish looks ok and when cold a week later the paint has cured and is dry to touch and not soft. After a drive with some decent braking, the paint feels a bit tacky, just feel they are going to be a dust magnetic! What have I done wrong or just bad paint.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08WBYQPJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was Jenolite caliper paint.
I have the rears to do so if I've done something wrong I want to do it better for the rears.

I note some people laquer as well?

snapper

posted on 27/5/21 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
5 coats, paint is to thick.
If the tin recommend 2 coats then apply first coat and follow instructions for second coat.
I have recently done my calipers used high temp engine primer 2 coats 15mins apart allow to dry overnight. Then next day 2 coats of standard rattle can red again with time between coats as recommended on the can. Paint will be soft unless left for another night indoors

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mikeb

posted on 27/5/21 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
surely it should cure in the end though? well it is cured when they are cold. I'll try high temp primer first on the rears.
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/5/21 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah 5 coats is 3 coats too many. I only use the Halfords one and never had any issues. You do need to let each coat fully cure overnight.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 27/5/21 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I know it may seem a stupid reply, but i used a paint kit designed for calipers about 5 years ago, and they still look the same today

its in the garage, so when i go out there tomorrow, i will find it and post a link

Normal paint does not work, ive tried

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.