Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4x4 options
Benzine

posted on 18/8/21 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
4x4 options

I'm looking at selling my skoda yeti and using the money to buy an EV. The budget won't stretch to a bells 'n whistles one but something like a mk1 Leaf will be great for 90% of our local trips. Diesel is 1.42/l here btw.

What I was thinking is was having the EV for local trips and a 2nd 4x4 for occasional use and the few longer journeys we do per year. I live in an area with hills that get impassable in winter if it's snows and the yeti had got up them when there have been dozens of cars stranded so it's a real need.

I won't have a lot left over though! Ideas please for lower end budget (£2/3k) 4x4s please. One friend has suggested Freelanders which seem good value but they may be dire, idk.

I had a daewoo musso once which was great but they don't pop up much on ebay!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 18/8/21 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I got round the problem by buying a Outlander Phev. Not a pure EV but I do about 20/25 miles on just electric so for urban driving it's great. And nice peace of mind that if the juice runs out I've got a full tank of petrol going spare. Not sure when I'm going to use the 4x4 mode but again peace of mind..... Some of the older ones aren't crazy money if you go for the more basic specs.
trextr7monkey

posted on 18/8/21 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Qashqi 4x4 or an older Xtrail might be in budgetZ. Had both reliable vehicles that get you there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

David Jenkins

posted on 19/8/21 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy got a second-hand Nissan Leaf off Cazoo - seems very happy with the car and the deal - might be worth sending him a U2U.

roadrunner

posted on 19/8/21 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
We have a Toyota Rav 4 short wheelbase.
Its on extremely low miles for a 1998 MK1.
Its been the most reliable car I've owned by far and it's never struggled in the snow.

loggyboy

posted on 19/8/21 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Kia Sorento. Bought as my tow car as it was the cheapest reliable route to tow 3 tonnes. Most have switchable 4wd so is rwd until you hit the diff locks. Also means you can drift it in the wet....

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 19/8/21 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
...and there was me hoping for a thread on donor engine & transmission options for building a 4x4 or 4WD 7 type car!

House near us has an Outlander Phev - don't know them so no feedback on that one.

One of my sisters had a Qashqi and didn't like it too much. Sold on after a year and now leases a Skoda Karoq FWD - seems happier with that.

Werner Van Loock

posted on 19/8/21 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
going real cheap is Suzuki jumny or other suzuki 4wd
Lada Niva is also a unbeatable 4wd

I drive a Volvo V90 T8, which is a plug-in hybrid that has sort of 4wd, ie petrol on front and electric on rear. So one car does all, budget might be an issue though

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 19/8/21 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Run away from Freelanders as fast as you can.

I have a 21 year old Hilux Surf (3rd gen) which still ploughs on every winter in -15 and gets anywhere I need to go. If I wanted something with less space I'd probably go for a 4wd version of the Rav4, or a jimney.

Decent older generation landcruisers and 4runners are at the top of your budget but don't expect >20mpg often. Mine never sees more than 23. Fun ploughing round in feet of snow though.
4RunnerSnow
4RunnerSnow

[Edited on 19/8/21 by coyoteboy]

James

posted on 19/8/21 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Panda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhMCWP2pSI

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 19/8/21 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Run away from Freelanders as fast as you can.

I have a 21 year old Hilux Surf (3rd gen) which still ploughs on every winter in -15 and gets anywhere I need to go. If I wanted something with less space I'd probably go for a 4wd version of the Rav4, or a jimney.

Decent older generation landcruisers and 4runners are at the top of your budget but don't expect >20mpg often. Mine never sees more than 23. Fun ploughing round in feet of snow though.
4RunnerSnow
4RunnerSnow

[Edited on 19/8/21 by coyoteboy]

Never had one myself, but the old Hilux's do seem pretty sturdy. There's a few landscape gardners my with them loaded up, pulling trailers loaded up. Most of them look fairly wrinkled around the edges, but the people in them want something that gets them + their kit to work and back.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/8/21 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Before my Up I was looking at the Lada Niva, basic car, rugged, well engineered and simple to own. They still make them and I'd have one way before anything made by Landrover. If you get a Leaf there's a very good chance the 4x4 will get very little use so I'd go for something that can stand up to a bit of neglect and only occasional use. Since We've had the Leaf I'm a bit shocked (no pun intended) on how heavily it's being used and how much it's become the primary car. Could really do with another one...
Schrodinger

posted on 20/8/21 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
How about a Mitsubishi Pajero (JDM version of the Shogun) I had one a few years back which was very reliable, just make sure that it has been well rust proofed since it has been imported.

Keith
Aviemore

gremlin1234

posted on 20/8/21 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
my brother had a Jeep Cherokee, he once described it as an 'anti-tardis', so much smaller on the inside than to out
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/8/21 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
my brother had a Jeep Cherokee, he once described it as an 'anti-tardis', so much smaller on the inside than to out

A bit like a hummer.

Tbh get some aggressive mud and snow rally tyres for the Leaf and it will be fine. I did this with my Bluebird and it was unstoppable and great fun. Demon Tweeks sells them.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/8/21 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble with EVs is that the wrong tyres can affect the range. A year or so back I was chatting with the owner of a Jaguar iPace while we charged our cars - I was admiring the Jag, until he told me what his electricity consumption was (half what I get per kWh). He also looked into upgrading his wheels and tyres to a larger size, until he was told that he would lose 50 miles range...

A carefully selected set of all-weather tyres can make a huge difference in winter, or you could get a set of cheap wheels and fit proper winter tyres, swapping them over each season (which is what they do in places like northern Europe and Canada). I have driven on icy roads with winter tyres and the difference is astonishing (not in my car, unfortunately). It felt as though I had four-wheel drive!

coyoteboy

posted on 21/8/21 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The trouble with EVs is that the wrong tyres can affect the range. A year or so back I was chatting with the owner of a Jaguar iPace while we charged our cars - I was admiring the Jag, until he told me what his electricity consumption was (half what I get per kWh). He also looked into upgrading his wheels and tyres to a larger size, until he was told that he would lose 50 miles range...

A carefully selected set of all-weather tyres can make a huge difference in winter, or you could get a set of cheap wheels and fit proper winter tyres, swapping them over each season (which is what they do in places like northern Europe and Canada). I have driven on icy roads with winter tyres and the difference is astonishing (not in my car, unfortunately). It felt as though I had four-wheel drive!

EVs are not special physics cases. Of course different tyres affect your fuel efficiency, but only the same as an IC car, they do it by increasing rolling resistance. That increase its the same for any powertrain. You'd expect an X% drop in fuel efficiency, you can expect an X% drop in range.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/8/21 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I meant get a set of winter tyres. EVs have a lot of torque at a standstill and even in the wet I find myself putting on the ECO mode to stop it wheel spinning, something it's really prone too. I haven’t driven it in the winter but I can see it being a bit of a handful unless I get some decent winter tyres.
PorkChop

posted on 21/8/21 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Kia Sorento. Bought as my tow car as it was the cheapest reliable route to tow 3 tonnes. Most have switchable 4wd so is rwd until you hit the diff locks. Also means you can drift it in the wet....

Or a Sportage (which my family has for towing a horse trailer). Comfortable enough for longer trips (which a Jimny is definitely not) and they live in what could be called a hilly area - a 4x4 is the only realistic chance of getting home in the snow.

A decent mark 1 with good history will be within budget.

[Edited on 21/8/21 by PorkChop]

David Jenkins

posted on 21/8/21 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
EVs are not special physics cases. Of course different tyres affect your fuel efficiency, but only the same as an IC car, they do it by increasing rolling resistance. That increase its the same for any powertrain. You'd expect an X% drop in fuel efficiency, you can expect an X% drop in range.

Yes - but in an ICE car it's easy to dive into a petrol station, so you are less concerned about loss of efficiency.

loggyboy

posted on 21/8/21 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
Or a Sportage (which my family has for towing a horse trailer). Comfortable enough for longer trips (which a Jimny is definitely not) and they live in what could be called a hilly area - a 4x4 is the only realistic chance of getting home in the snow.

A decent mark 1 with good history will be within budget.

Sportage didnt reach my list as its has a much lower tow capacity, but no idea of its 4x4 potential, (think 4x4 is only an option IIRC?), but guess it depends on if you just want a little more help in slippery conditions or to actually green lane it!!

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 21/8/21 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of the last XC70’s best car I have ever owned, D5 fully loaded fast, quiet, economical and can pull 2 tons of trailer at 28mpj all day long.

Beats any range rovers I owned a few years ago.

ReMan

posted on 22/8/21 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Just bought another RAV4 Ben 2014 one.
But still got the 2006. They are in your budget for a decent one. 40mpg if your good

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mike Wood

posted on 22/8/21 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
What about an elderly Skoda Octavia 4x4 estate or its slightly jacked up and more common and probably pricier Scout version?

Assorted Subarus? E.g. Forester?

What towing weight and interior space do you need? There was a hatchback Impreza with 1500kg towing weight (so can tow Locost or my Sprite on a single axle trailer)- non-turbo, so not quick and a small boot, but full time 4x4 (not Haldex or other part-time system) and a low ratio gearbox. I have the later model (2016, 1.6 non-turbo petrol so same insurance as my Mk1 Octavia 2wd 1.6 petrol that it replaced, this model shared the body with the XV), but the generation before (a bit rounder looking and 1500cc and as slow as mine) might be on budget - surprisingly good size inside including for rear seat passengers, apart from the boot space). Great on winter tyres with a sump guard on ice and snow - limited by depth of snow by ploughing along on the sump-guard, but at such depths only saw Solihull products! (could try the related higher up XV but no low ratio and probably higher priced); my Mk1 Octavia on quality winter tyres (ContiWinterCiontact) was also good too and surprising on ice.

My boot space issue solved on long trips by addition of a roof box.

Wikipedia tells me I am talking about a Subaru Impreza hatchback ‘Third Generation’ (and my 2016 1.6iRC hatchback is a ‘Fourth Generation’): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 22/8/21 by Mike Wood]

Benzine

posted on 23/8/21 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the replies. Loads to think about and look into. Any more ideas please keep them coming!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.