Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Reliability
Tatey

posted on 24/8/21 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Car Reliability

My Haynes Roadster passed its IVA test a few weeks and I gave it a good run out at Blyton Park a week ago without any problems.

I am keen to get my car as reliable as possible so when I do some longer roadtrips in the future I hopefully have the most chance of a problem free trip!

Does anyone have any advice as to what the typical faults are on a seven style car?

My car has a 1.8l silvertop, zx6r bike carbs, type 9 gearbox and Sierra running gear if that helps at all.

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/8/21 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
My car (OK, a spitfire, st170/t9 box, scooby diff) has done 3 1/2K in the last few weeks.
The only issue I had was a failed crank spigot bearing (felt like a stuck clutch, but released and was OK, found when I pulled the box to check)

I have very few issues, the previous one was 3 years ago when a prop UJ failed. That was down partly to prop angles too big, now corrected.

Anyway, having played with classic cars etc for 30 years, the most common issues are down to poor quality parts. Typically alternators, electric fuel pumps, and people cutting corners when doing jobs. Latest issue will be unbranded fuel hoses, ebay hoses are often fake and lead to cracks/leaks.

I try to use genuine OEM parts whenever possible. I certainly would not touch an unbranded or recon alternator with a bargepole.
Likewise electrical connections. They need to be well made and I have a dislike for insulated crimps, much preferring the uninsulated type, made with teh correct tool and fitting an insulated boot after, or heatshrink.

SJ

posted on 24/8/21 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a couple of exhaust mounts crack. I wasn't using an appropriate material to make them from.

Other than that not had anything go wrong during a journey since building it in 2006.

James

posted on 24/8/21 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Not much has gone wrong with mine.

I broke down twice with blockage in the fuel filter- turned out to be the sealant I'd used on the fuel tank (where cut the fuel gauge in the wrong place!!!) that I was assured was fuel proof, in fact wasn't. It turned to liquid goo and dribbled into the tank and got sucked up like black worms. Fortunately trapped in the filters!

Also, my alternator tensioning bolt came loose. Can't remember why.

Here's a tip. Try and build/repair as much of the car as possible with 1 tool kit. Then, you know you only need to take that one toolkit with you and you can do any job beside the road!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/8/21 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a spare set of sensors or take them off cars in breakers (do test them) as that's what goes wrong with modern engines. Then keep them along with the tools to replace them in the back wrapped up in clean rag.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 24/8/21 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
nothing if its put together reasonably well
Puncture kit and a breakdown membership

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 24/8/21 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
What reman says, though for long trips a take a load of spares.

I look after a few kits at work and common issues are...
Wiring terminals and connectors either badly crimped or getting moisture in and corroding or pulling out. I don't have issues with crimps (done right) but use glued heat shrink ones solves a lot of those problems.

Custom brackets/mounts breaking. Not a lot you can do.

If you're on carbs, the fuel pumps are a bit temperamental (changed several) I'd make sure its easy to swap and carry one.

Also try and make a list of part numbers or original fitment so you can buy replacements when away. Motor factors won't have a clue without.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

David Jenkins

posted on 24/8/21 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
As adithorp says, vibration can be an issue - these cars can be quite harsh over the road, so brackets and fixtures take a pounding. Front mudguard brackets are a particular weakness.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.