Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cams or Head Porting
nickm

posted on 25/8/21 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cams or Head Porting

Hi Folks
After some advice got a J15 running a 1.6 Zetec SE on Jenvey TBs with an Emerald ECU, im thinking about a bit more power. I would like to do an upgrade over winter either head porting or cams ?
The car is fantastic but vibration, noise and a harsh ride do mean that it is nice to turn it off after an hour ! so which one would you do ?

Any experiences welcome

Nick M

sdh2903

posted on 25/8/21 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Both

If your going to the trouble of doing either your going to need a mapping session so would make sense to get it done at the same time and save money on mapping.

Although why not concentrate on making it more comfy/compliant so your not so keen to switch it off?

snapper

posted on 25/8/21 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
If your going to do the porting yourself it’s really just a clean up without a flow bench.
Skimming for a bit more compression and some cams would help

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jelly head

posted on 26/8/21 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Shawspeed claim 150hp from their kit with cams, jenveys and ecu. I don't know what yours is putting out at the moment but it's a good increase over standard.
There's the uprated valve springs to fit so the head probably has to come off anyway (unless anyone knows if it can be done without?) so you could give the ports a clean up then. Also i'm assuming it'll have to rev harder to make the power (heavy duty big end bolts) so that's likely to be worse for the noise / vibration.

adithorp

posted on 26/8/21 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say cams or both.

Harsh ride in. JP designed car sounds unusual. The j15 (or was it j16) I drove rode quite nicely from what I can remember. What size/tyres have you got and did you go with recommended spring rates?

Noise wise I'd recommend decent ear plugs.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/8/21 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Metalastic suspension bushes, quiet exhaust and some decent engine mounts...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 26/8/21 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Soften the shocks off if its a harsh ride.

[Edited on 26-8-21 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

nickm

posted on 26/8/21 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
All interesting reading
I love the handling so my description of harsh is probably a bit harsh ! and the Sylvas own seats are very comfy, hence i dont want to change any of that.
I probably worded the question poorly the jenveys are literally 6 inchs behind your head and the car being full bodied does show the vibrations if you have a Riot or J15 you will know what i mean the engine mounts etc are solid.
Over the winter i want to up the power a bit my first thoughts are shortened injectors so i can fit a proper filter rather than trumpet socks that will give me a couple of BHPs hopefully (133BHP with socks) and to be honest the porting or cams should give me near 150hp which is plenty for a 514kg car.

Im still interested in any other opinions so keep em coming

Ta

Nick M

nickm

posted on 30/8/21 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Adi
Yes i have thought about changing the 15" wheels with 55 profile to go down to 14" with more profile but the Team Dynamics are so light ? 13" Team Dynamics would be perfect but i might struggle to get over the rear calipers.
Just thinking out loud for the winters tinkering, still mulling over building a Riot !!!!!

Ta

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.