Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto megajolt installation - crank sensor?
DarrenW

posted on 24/4/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto megajolt installation - crank sensor?

Question to those who have fitted crank sensor to a pinto - where did you mount the sensor? Any pics?

What i thought would be the best technical position - ie 90deg before the standard TDC mark seems to be very awkward. Mounting from where the timing cover bolts on looks more convenient but i cant get my head around the fact this isnt at 90deg BTDC.

Im having a real think moment with the trigger wheel and sensor and need some basic instruction please. Ive got it in my head that i should be able to set the engine at TDC, then rotate the crank pulley back by 90 deg. Next fit the sensor in the most convenient spot and after that fit the trigger wheel so that the missing tooth is aligned to the sensor. If this is correct job 1 must be to work out the best place to fit the sensor, hence original Q.

dmottaway

posted on 24/4/06 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I am planning a MegaSquirt installation one day, and it is my thinking that where the sensor is mounted is unimportant so long as it lines up with the missing tooth at the appropriate time.

that is, mount the sensor where convenient, put the crank in the proper position, then mount the toothed wheel properly, relative to the sensor.

just my thinking, waiting to be corrected.

dave

[Edited on 24/4/06 by dmottaway]

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

zilspeed

posted on 24/4/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Darren

Mount the trigger wherever is convenient. Then mount the disc so that the missing tooth is 90 degree 'in front' or 'ahead' of the sensor with the crank at TDC.

DarrenW

posted on 25/4/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks John. So in theory my thoughts were correct, i just needed that confirmation to give me confidence. Many thanks.

Is the crank pulley the only place that the trigger wheel can be mounted? What would stop me using the redundant dizzy to mount the trigger wheel and sensor? (i already know some cars use the flywheel but as engine is installed this is not convenient for me).

Peteff

posted on 25/4/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
The distributor doesn't turn at engine speed so the signal would be wrong.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 25/4/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that would be the answer. What is the ratio? Does the crank turn twice for every rev of the dizzy.

OK - crank it is then. Thanks for sensible reply to daft question.

TangoMan

posted on 26/4/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Vr Sensor Location

I made a bracket using the two bolt holes on the right hand side below the dizzy.
This angles around the corner and points at the toothed wheel which is pressed and welded onto the back of a slightly machined front pulley.
Works a treat and allows for adjustment to ensure it is triggering exactly 90 degrees BTDC.

DarrenW

posted on 30/4/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Tangomn,

sorry i missed you at stoneleigh today.
if you can do me some pics id appreciate it? Believe it or not but dizzy cap failed today - i really need to get the megajolt fitted!!!! Just need coil pack, leads, crank sensor and trigger wheel then fitting will commence.

TangoMan

posted on 30/4/06 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END!!

Darren,

It sounds like you had an interesting day.

The Megajolt will be worth it as mine feels more responsive and is now better on fuel.

I have kept the dizzy just in case it fails so I can revert back. No need so far though!!

I would have called you but I left my phone under the bonnet of the car when I checked the oil/water then drove off. OOOPS!!

All the bits you need can be sourced from eBay if you can't get them from a local scrappy.

[Edited on 30/4/06 by TangoMan]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.