Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt and Zetec
Project7

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt and Zetec

Hi,

Im struggling to get my zetec engine to start up. Im using a the extra code and driving the ford coil pack directly.

Could anybody using a similar set up give me the wheel decoder and spark settings.

So far all ive got it to do is back fire through the throttle bodies not good.

Thanks

Tony

britishtrident

posted on 26/4/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds likes its ignition timing related.
Project7

posted on 26/4/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
yup, its definitely ignition timing related.

My spark table should be alright, so im guessing that the wheel decoder and spark settings are wrong.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/4/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't some people had problems with the coil packs firing incorrectly? try changing the plug leads so that no1 &4 leads are on the connections for no 2&3 and vice versa
BKLOCO

posted on 26/4/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
You will probably find that you have connected the low tension plug wrongly. Swap wires 1 & 3 and all should be well. There are 2 different Ford plugs. Physically the same but one is marked 1,2,3. the other 3,2,1. How do I know?
I had exactly the same problem.
Also if you have had it backfiring through the inlets then check the valve timing. Mine moved the timing pulleys on the cams when it backfired.
Mind you the 12" flames from the thtottle bodies are pretty arn't they?

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

ZetecVan

posted on 2/5/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi. I have just got my Zetec powered Anglia Van running this weekend and the first few turns before I fixed the problems I did have flames out of the throttle bodies too.

I had two problems. Once these were fixed, the van started first time.

1. The temp sensor was returning a figure too high, so the ecu always thought the engine was fully warmed up. I changed the cranking settings to use the air temp sensor, and it fired up, but stalled straight away as the ecu thought it was warm. I fitted a new sensor, and the van started (after a struggle), but ran very very lumpy. Which leads onto number 2.

2. The ECU I had was set up for a 2 litre zetec turbo. I'd also tried a mapping I'd borrowed off someone on the megasquirt forum. It was set up to calculate the fuelling by using the manifold air pressure. I don't have a sensor for that, and am using a TPS. I didn't realise there was a setting I had to change, to set the mapping up for alpha-n. Once I changed that, it has been starting first time and running like a dream. (see the video at http://www.ladygarden.co.uk/tmp/van2.mp4 - needs quicktime).

I'm not an expert at setting up ECUs but if you want a copy of my map, just let me know.

Good luck

Mike

Project7

posted on 2/5/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,

Yeah i would really apprechiate a copy of your map cheers, ill u2u you my email address.

Thanks

Changing 1&4 an 2&3 didnt work either

ZetecVan

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Very good point. The map I'm using is one I borrowed off someone else, and while it got me started, I had to change a setting or two to get it running/idling ok. I've not attempted to tune it properly yet. I'll be doing that when I've taken it out for a spin and done a bit of logging

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.