<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Digital Dash
rf900rush

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Digital Dash

DIY Digital Dash

Hi All...
As I could not afford the any thing like the Digidash Displays.
Plus there is not much room above the steering column on my Rush.
I thought I would make my own.

2 years later I near completing my Dash.
So far I will be able to Display MPH, RPM, OIL Pressure, Water Temp. 0 - 60 , 1/4 mile and some on board Data logging.
with the option of record to a PC/Laptop via a serial Port.
Which is also used to calibrate/customise the Display.

Some Pictures of Protoype No.2....

Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thats very smart wanna make another
stevebubs

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
That's actually quite nice and usable.

Are you planning on putting it into production, "open sourcing" it like Megasquirt or just keeping it as a one-off?

RichardK

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Martin

That is one of the nicest instrument panels that I've seen, please share

Nice one, cheers

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rf900rush

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All...

I am planning to take it further.
but How...

Problems...
1: Make sure it works for Most types of car/becs.
2: Make sure it's reliable.
3: Make sure Its a resonable cost.
4: How do I make a cheap case for it?

The one you see is made for a £20 piece of ali (from ebay) and about a million hours at my PC and DIY CNC Mill/Drill.

At the moment I like the Idear of the Megasuirt System (which I also have I my Rush).
Which also means my dash will be able to take data from It.
(simular to the Megadisplay.)

Martin

RazMan

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Top marks old chap!

Where were you a year ago when I was looking for a smart, professional looking dash?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Andy W

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Top job, after all that hard work you really should continue. I'm sure you would have no problems selling them

Andy

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
That looks the dog's b@ll@cks!
You could make a less expensive case in vacuum formed plastic, such as ABS or even fibreglass.
Veeerry impressive so far.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Guinness

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing.

There will be a real demand for those if you offer them at a reasonable price or as kits/instructions.

Can't wait to see the rest of your build if the dash is that good!

Mike

omega 24 v6

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a real problem with the case price??
I put one on my megasquirt for Around £10.00. Surely thats not to expensive for a well made bit of kit like your showng us here.
Linky to my case

Jonte

posted on 17/9/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Really good work
Hope youre very proud of that dash....

Click it

JackNco

posted on 18/9/06 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
WOW! that looks great!

But if you were going to take it further, y bother with a case? why not just open source the ret f it, and let people sort out there own cases?

Im sure alot of people (inclusing me) would be happy worting bezzels and surrouns and buttons out and mounting thme in the dash ourselves

PLUS... u have u2u

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

dl_peabody

posted on 18/9/06 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
Really good work! I am very impressed.

Before you open source the project contact the guys at mega squirt and mega jolt and ask about how much money they make per unit and if it is a viable income stream (even a little to recoupe your investment of time, but ask them everything).
Even if you decide to give it away there are issues you need to be concerned about (you may decide that you want to make it availble to noncomercial use).

Ask Mega squirt guys about liability issues and how they avoid that. Very cool if you can tie the two products together....or at least complient each other.

chockymonster

posted on 18/9/06 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic looking dash.
Like the others, I'd be interested in having a go at making one.

How big is the case that holds the electric gubbins?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Hammerhead

posted on 18/9/06 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi the dash looks great. You could have the surround cast in aluminium using your original as the male mould. I bet if you had 10 done the price would be under £10 each. It would solve the problem of all the machining etc, and the casting company would probably do the polishing for you. Let me know if you try this method.

StevieB

posted on 18/9/06 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
That's a real nice bit of kit - I'd certainly pay for one if you were to sell something (the full item, instructions on how to make it - whichever)
02GF74

posted on 18/9/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
I am planning to take it further.
but How...

Problems...
1: Make sure it works for Most types of car/becs.
2: Make sure it's reliable.
3: Make sure Its a resonable cost.
4: How do I make a cheap case for it?

The one you see is made for a £20 piece of ali (from ebay) and about a million hours at my PC and DIY CNC Mill/Drill.

Martin

well I donlt need to tell you that that is one lovely bit of kit and no doubt a lot of hours went into making the display as well as writing the code.

my only question is what processor & development system are you using? (...I've still to get round to buying a PIC development system.... )

Whilst I wish you luck in making money from it, you should consider the issue of support to a) help folks set it up and b) what happens when things don't work like they should - that could take up an awful lot of your time.

Rich_T

posted on 18/9/06 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
That really is one of the best looking dash's Ive seen and would certainly be interested in one, be it kits form or complete.
Good luck

MikeRJ

posted on 18/9/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Is there a real problem with the case price??
I put one on my megasquirt for Around £10.00. Surely thats not to expensive for a well made bit of kit like your showng us here.
Linky to my case

I belive the OP is refering to the custom made dash housing, not to the box holding the electronics etc. which would be easy to source.

rf900rush

posted on 18/9/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all..
Wow I did not expect such a response.

I have been scracthing my head for some time now, as to the best way to supply this.

As for the case (square box) thats easy Maplin ali boxes are less than £10 in 1 offs.
But for the display mine is custom to fit behind the steering wheel.
I am looking a cast/ GRP/ Carbon for Idears but as you all know its time consuming.
Making every thing ... PCB's Cables Software and case is hard work.

I will proberbly supply at least kits like megasuirt.
The software, it is much like the megasuirt. You can re-program it using the Serial Port.
That means there are many options just like the M.S.
Plus like the MS I hove that any sensors can be calibrated.
The only problem is to make it easy to use to mimimise the support need.
Theres no chance of me running a fourm like this on or the MS one.

I have also considerd the possibility of different display options.

As to the CPU system mine uses a Phillips version of the 87C51.
Which with care can be program in circuit using a PC serial port. (No programmer needed).

Martin

JackNco

posted on 18/9/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
U have a U2U message

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

Hammerhead

posted on 19/9/06 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
as stated before cast aluminium would be a very versatile method of producing the outer casing. Or why not get them cnc machined? bet if you made in batches of 10 or more the price wouldnt be too bad.
iank

posted on 19/9/06 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Having just got the cost of laser cutting aluminium it wouldn't be silly money if you have the cad files.
Peteff

posted on 19/9/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
The instruments look brilliant.

I would add that the aluminium dash is not a great idea unless you have a dull finish or cover it. I had to do my tunnel top with some vinyl as it was blinding with the sun on it, and I am not renowned for my enthusiasm with the polish.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Syd Bridge

posted on 21/9/06 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
And for those wanting something different, I could do the surround in carbon for very few pounds. Plenty of offcuts about and could put them through the clave with other work.

Cheers,
Syd.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.