Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: radiator & fan
jimbona2

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
radiator & fan

hi,
any advice on how these fit together, all purchased from tiger although i reckon I need to buy additional things to fit them together. do i need plastic extensions or something to make the four joints fit onto the edges of the rad? cheers.

[Edited on 2/10/07 by jimbona2] Rescued attachment DSCN0297.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCN0297.jpg

BenB

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
The clips look like they're supposed to clip into the fan for extra mounting points...
nib1980

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
The T shape fits into the four T slots on the Fan, then I made some spacers up from some scrap metal I had, taking the hole and bolting it to my made up spacers, and finding a suitable lading point on the body (in my case the same as the radiator)
jimbona2

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
yeah sorry they do. when you place the fan over the rad with the four joints sit over the mesh
jimbona2

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
putting a bolt through the mesh seems a bit strange. is that okay what what bolt would you reccommend? cheers

[Edited on 2/10/07 by jimbona2] Rescued attachment DSCN0298.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCN0298.jpg

nib1980

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Nope not a bolt through the mesh, I made a spacer up bolted the fan to the spacer (about 15cm long with a hole in each end), then the other end of the spacer to the body.

Alternativley you can get a cable tie type mount and mount through the radiator mesh (try an ebay search)

nib1980

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-COOLER-ELECTRIC-FAN-MOUNTS-WESTFIELD-CATERHAM-7-DAX_W0QQitemZ150167319085QQihZ005QQcategoryZ100921QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQc mdZViewItem

try these

BenB

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Although people go for the cable tie jobbies I wouldn't. They do have the cable-tie serations and it is possible that they can cut through the radiator core...

Many people use them without problems but people have reported leaks at the site of the cable ties...

I'd go for the strips of metal bolted through the fan brackets and attached to something suitable on the car...

RazMan

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd go for the strips of metal bolted through the fan brackets and attached to something suitable on the car...

I strongly agree - don't use the cable ties thingies as they WILL eventually wear through the core and leave your car stranded on a B road to nowhere on a cold November night (about 1.30am) ..... trust me on this

Here's a pic of mine to give you an idea Rescued attachment Radiator.jpg
Rescued attachment Radiator.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
if cable ties and bolts trhough radiators were such a brilliant idea, you would see all car manufacturers using this method as it is cheap.

If it was me, I would make a bracket, in fact I did for the LR.

jimbona2

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
think i got it, like below, forgive the paper but this represents some blank of metal that the bolts can go through. Rescued attachment DSCN0299.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCN0299.jpg

RazMan

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yep thats the idea, and probably best to leave a small clearance between rad and fan to prevent any contact problems - it won't make any noticeable difference to the cooling system, although obviously keep the bracketry as minimalist as possible.

[Edited on 2-10-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimbona2

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
ok will do, not sure where the paper in the picture would fix to though to be honest?
worX

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think you would if you turned your paper template the other way (90 degrees to the way it is now) and therefore the same position as razman's

Steve

jimbona2

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
thats what I thought, is it okay to do that? ie... Rescued attachment DSCN0302.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCN0302.jpg

RazMan

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me. Try and keep them as short as possible, or maybe make them from angle to give them extra rigidity if needed. The fan itself will stiffen things up a bit when bolted in anyway.

Cheers,
Raz

marshall

posted on 3/10/07 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
as for the tiger rad i would no get as they tend to leak as i was told. i have a polo rad with a robinhood fan all cost to fit was £35. and it works fine and the rad is smaller .it can go with a pinto or a zetec.
mine is a 2.0 pinto....

azzacat

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi There.
Definatly ditch the rad for a polo 1 !!!

The tiger supplied Fan fits better to a Polo rad as it has some plastic lugs you can tap to m6 ant then tap the fan holes to m10, This enables 4 small flat bracket to be used alowing the fan to sit flush on the rad,
These can be made from 1mm sheet.
or pop round and have a look at mine
A

Aaron

jimbona2

posted on 3/10/07 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
thanks azzacat, i might call you on that!
reckon i might leave it for now as it will be a why before it becomes an issue.
started a new thread with pics of my progress for any interested (same category)

azzacat

posted on 3/10/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I've put Some pics in the Archive

Aaron

jimbona2

posted on 3/10/07 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
where did you get the extensions from? they look good.
azzacat

posted on 3/10/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cut them from 3mm Plate with a hack saw then filed to shape.

Aaron

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.