Board logo

Battery terminal covers
David Jenkins - 30/11/04 at 08:43 AM

I've just fitted my nice shiny new battery with its Ford-style terminals - the type where the battery lead is bolted to a flat lead spigot. My concern is that the two spigots are uninsulated, and the ali bonnet is only a few inches above! Also, there's a high risk of bridging the two terminals when taking the bonnet off and putting it back on.

I've been looking for some plastic covers and failed to find any - anyone know where I can get some? Actually, I did find some at Vehicle Wiring Products, but they always charge a high P&P no matter how small the order, so I don't go there unless I have a decent shopping list (and I'm not sure they're the right sort of insulator anyway).

rgds,

David

bob - 30/11/04 at 09:15 AM

David

I got some from a local auto electric supplier,they are rubber and come in red or black i think they are a Durite product so must be available over the country.
I cant remember or find the reciept for price unfortunatly,i think they were a couple of £'s each which is dearer than VWP but i too think VWP's postal charges are a tad over the the top.

Peteff - 30/11/04 at 09:43 AM

You only need to worry about the live terminal. There should be two small holes in the plastic next to it to fit a cover with a hinge, you can self tapper a cut out piece of oil bottle into these with some short screws. You should get the cover with the battery or find one on a scrap Ford.