Board logo

Anyone used TIG to weld their chassis?
EwanBennettRacing - 8/5/18 at 02:04 PM

I've just completed a TIG welding class at West Herts college and was just wondering if anyone else has ever used TIG with filler for welding a chassis, or is it MIG only?
I realise that TIG without filler wouldn't be strong enough, but just wondering....
Next I need to rent a garage, then buy the RHS ( plus plenty of trial bits )...

mistergrumpy - 8/5/18 at 06:23 PM

Some people have, I remember it being mentioned in the past. If I recall I think Motoleira tigged his.

Ugg10 - 8/5/18 at 07:01 PM

Batho do a tig welded chassis as an option.

http://bathoscars.simpl.com

tegwin - 8/5/18 at 07:35 PM

Either are equally valid as an option.

As I am sure they pointed out on your course TIG likes to have really nicely fitting and clean metal to get a good weld. MIG by its nature will fill any anomalies in your tube fits and can tolerate a little bit of contamination.... (although not ideal).

For speed I would use MIG because I know I would struggle to get a nice enough dry fit with the tubes because my cutting is lazy.

If I were doing an open chassis however where the cosmetic finish was quite important I might take the time to get a better fit and then TIG it.

harmchar - 8/5/18 at 08:14 PM

Same as above. The only reason MIG is preferred is speed and ease of filling non perfect joints. I love gas welding but would never consider it as an option for as big a job as a whole chassis build

nick205 - 9/5/18 at 10:36 AM

I haven't TIG welded or built my own chassis so can't comment on that aspect.

Some years ago I worked with a guy who was somewhat of a welding artist. His preference was TIG for neatness (usually with stainless and alloy), but MIG for speed and tolerance of less than perfect pre-weld joint fit (usually with mild steel).

iant88 - 9/5/18 at 11:15 AM

Hi Pete - long time no speak.

I'm intending to Tig a chassis when I get my act together although there will be some areas I'd use Mig (mainly for accessibility reasons). I'm looking at a Midlana - what are you looking at ?

Regards
ian

sebastiaan - 9/5/18 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Some people have, I remember it being mentioned in the past. If I recall I think Motoleira tigged his.

Didnt't he brush paint it instead of welding?

EwanBennettRacing - 9/5/18 at 03:34 PM

Thank you for those comments folks.
Now all I need to do is find a welder and somewhere I can plug it in with enough power!

mistergrumpy - 9/5/18 at 06:53 PM

quote:

Didnt't he brush paint it instead of welding?

He did hand paint it yes