Board logo

Weld on VIN Plate IVA
G13BLocost - 30/8/19 at 12:29 PM

Hello All,

I have done some searching but can't seem to find a manufacturer of weld-on vin plates. I tried stamping my own in steel but it's a mess and it would be nice to buy a professionally stamped piece of plate to seam weld on.

Any help?

Cheers,
Josh

CosKev3 - 30/8/19 at 03:21 PM

Just practise m8

Irony - 30/8/19 at 03:54 PM

I wouldn't bother with welding or stamping. I just used a metal grinding bit in a cheap as chips Aldi dremel. I wrote it on the chassis in pen first and then ground away. Quick spray with a rattle can. Looks pretty good. IVA were happy

nick205 - 30/8/19 at 04:25 PM

Don't buy and weld, either punch or grind directly onto your chassis and spray paint over.

CosKev3 - 30/8/19 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Don't buy and weld, either punch or grind directly onto your chassis and spray paint over.

Punching straight onto box section makes a right poo job,look at Westfields
You cant punch it properly without distorting the box

CosKev3 - 30/8/19 at 04:29 PM

quote:

G13BLocost - 30/8/19 at 05:08 PM

I will give the Dremel a go

nick205 - 30/8/19 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

It can do if you punch too hard and on the centre-line on the box section. If you punch nearer the edge it works fine, did it that way for my MK Indy and it worked just fine passing SVA without issue.

paulc - 30/8/19 at 09:00 PM

I got a local engraving place to engrave it on a piece of 2mm plate, then welded it on.

Cost Ģ20, they cut it quite and deep so it was still readable after powder coat.

[Edited on 30/8/19 by paulc]

[Edited on 30/8/19 by paulc]

Angel Acevedo - 30/8/19 at 11:40 PM

I donīt recall someone ever mentioning etching...
I think it could be done fairly easy...
12 Volt power supply, salt vinegar, a piece of steel, (nail, screw, rod, etc) some plastic lettering stencils... some patience...

Angel Acevedo - 30/8/19 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
12 Volt power supply, salt vinegar, a piece of steel, (nail, screw, rod, etc) some plastic lettering stencils... some patience...

ETA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtDz_rGgs8

G13BLocost - 13/9/19 at 07:56 PM

Yep, cheapy Dremel and an engraving bit was the way to go! I printed off the VIN in a simple font of my choice, laminated it with tape and then taped it to a piece of steel. I then ground through and kept going over it until I got nice clear letters.

Cheers chaps!

40inches - 13/9/19 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by G13BLocost
Yep, cheapy Dremel and an engraving bit was the way to go! I printed off the VIN in a simple font of my choice, laminated it with tape and then taped it to a piece of steel. I then ground through and kept going over it until I got nice clear letters.

Cheers chaps!

Exactly what I did, with a Ģ3.99 Aldi battery engraver

CosKev3 - 15/9/19 at 10:48 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

It can do if you punch too hard and on the centre-line on the box section. If you punch nearer the edge it works fine, did it that way for my MK Indy and it worked just fine passing SVA without issue.

Not central in the box section would look worse than a squashed box imo!

Irony - 16/9/19 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo

Metal Etching would work an absolute treat but two things would concern me. I would be worried about any electrical systems attached to the chassis and you really need access to a vinyl cutter.

I have 'electro etched' with absolutely fantastic results though.

907 - 16/9/19 at 09:40 AM

Having stamped the number in the chassis I then went on to fit the aluminium side panels which promptly covered it up. Doh !

I then had to cut a window in the ally so it could be seen.

Paul G

Description
Description

Angel Acevedo - 17/9/19 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
Having stamped the number in the chassis I then went on to fit the aluminium side panels which promptly covered it up. Doh !

I then had to cut a window in the ally so it could be seen.

Paul G

Description
Description

I like how it looks.
I may as well plagiate the system.