Board logo

Droopy suspension
ChrisJ15 - 28/4/19 at 05:20 PM

Hi, My fisrt MOT in my J15 had an advisory about the front coil overs being slack on full droop.

I've just been adjusting the rear ride height down a bit at the rear and the same problem now exists there.

I dont want to fit helper springs at the moment because I need to fit lower rated springs as they are much too high and I can increase the length at the same time.

My concern is that the top collar (probably not the right term) could rattle off with corresponding collapse of the suspension.

Is this likely to happen in normal road driving? I do like a spirited drive but I'm not particulary fond of getting airborne off hump back bridges etc!

Mr Whippy - 29/4/19 at 06:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
Hi, My fisrt MOT in my J15 had an advisory about the front coil overs being slack on full droop.

I've just been adjusting the rear ride height down a bit at the rear and the same problem now exists there.

Simple question would be why are you lowering the car to the point the springs are rattling? just raise it or fit longer springs

Sounds a bit self inflicted tbh

ChrisJ15 - 1/5/19 at 01:47 PM

I mentioned that I will be changing the springs - when I do this its an oppurtunity to get longer ones but i dont knwo what rate I need yet.

I want to get the car to the desired height. The springs arent rattling with the weight of the car on them only when it's jacked up.

The question is should I be concerned that there will be a problem with this with normal driving.

Oddified - 1/5/19 at 06:10 PM

With normal driving you'll be fine. I've done similar just for testing things, no issues.

Don't go jumping bridges or hopping curbs on track though

Ian

TRX - 2/5/19 at 09:46 PM

"Back in the day" some racers drilled the spring caps and tied the springs to them with safety wire. Some spring caps come with the tiny hole already there.

I have no idea what they did on the adjuster nut end; I always assumed there was a matching hole there, but I don't know how that would work out with a jam nut.

ChrisJ15 - 3/5/19 at 11:12 AM

Many thanks for the responses.

I think I'll leave them as they are as I've only got a few hours of road driving to do before I can get the new (longer) springs.