Board logo

Recommend a book on MIG welding
nick205 - 4/7/19 at 01:45 PM

Can anyone recommend any books on MIG welding?

I know the practice, practice, practice mantra, but I'd like to read some more about it as well.

Thanks,
Nick

loggyboy - 4/7/19 at 02:02 PM

I'm sure there are books, but I found the https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ site perfect. Suit some tablet holiday/toilet/evening reading, rather than a hard copy.

rusty nuts - 4/7/19 at 02:48 PM

Another vote for the migwelding forum

r1_pete - 4/7/19 at 02:57 PM

Yep, mig welding forum is as good as this site, advantage over a book is you can ask questions get discussions going and post pics to get feedback and advice.

nick205 - 4/7/19 at 03:31 PM

Thanks chaps - aware of and a member of that one.

As you say plenty to read on there and the chance to discuss as well.

I guess what I'm after is something to read off-line really.

Mr Whippy - 4/7/19 at 04:56 PM

Hmm tbh welding like spray painting can't really be learnt from a book just takes practice. I'd recommend just watching some YouTube vids and then having a go.

David Jenkins - 4/7/19 at 05:59 PM

I did a couple of one-day courses at the local agricultural college (Ottley) - made a huge difference having a professional welder looking over my shoulder.

nick205 - 5/7/19 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I did a couple of one-day courses at the local agricultural college (Ottley) - made a huge difference having a professional welder looking over my shoulder.

Useful to know, I might investigate what options are available local to me.

ETA - a college local to my work runs evening courses (1 night a week over 8 weeks) in welding covering MIG and TIG. Fees look reasonable and it's practical for me to get to and from. Some further thinking for the weekend!

[Edited on 5/7/19 by nick205]

[Edited on 5/7/19 by nick205]