Board logo

IVA compliant bonnet catches
starterman - 9/1/18 at 08:27 PM

As per the title I'm after some recommendations for IVA compliant bonnet catches/covers that allow the bonnet to be pulled down into place.

Cheers
Mike

40inches - 9/1/18 at 11:07 PM

The standard rubber over centre catch. Available from CBS, MK GBS etc.
Description
Description

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/iva-ok-rubber-bonnet-catch-9mm

[Edited on 9-1-18 by 40inches]

starterman - 10/1/18 at 07:39 AM

Thank you. Those are the ones that I was looking at, I was just wondering how strong they were as the bonnet needs a tad bit of pressure to get it to fit snug.

Cheers
Mike

SJ - 10/1/18 at 08:14 AM

As long as they are fitted well they are strong when it comes to holding the bonnet down but don't do much to locate it side to side.

Stu

ReMan - 10/1/18 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
As long as they are fitted well they are strong when it comes to holding the bonnet down but don't do much to locate it side to side.

Stu
Ditto
They are very stond
usually the bonnet and scuttle take care of side to side location, though some have fitted locating pins in the top rail

starterman - 10/1/18 at 09:06 AM

I've got locating pins so side to side isn't an issue it's just pulling the bonnet down into place. You've reassured me that those are the catches for me. Thank you.

Cheers
Mike

David Jenkins - 10/1/18 at 01:22 PM

I've had a set of those rubber latches on my car since before its SVA, over 11 years ago. The only problem I've ever had was when I forgot to do them up...

gingerprince - 10/1/18 at 04:58 PM

Beware, they expand in hot weather

Flying Bonnet
Flying Bonnet

David Jenkins - 10/1/18 at 06:03 PM

Mine have always worked OK - except when I forget them...

ReMan - 10/1/18 at 06:14 PM

mine too.
But much accuracy needed and , to cover the above, fit them on a warm day!

big-vee-twin - 11/1/18 at 12:55 PM

They are a bit stretchy, so make sure when fastened you have taken up the give.

David Jenkins - 11/1/18 at 02:57 PM

They do come with a drilling template (mine did, anyway) so it's just a case of pulling the bonnet down as tight as possible - I used a small ratchet strap - and marking out the holes. Drill, then pop-rivet the bits in place and Robert's your father's brother.

gingerprince - 11/1/18 at 03:08 PM

As a belt-and-braces (after my bonnet incident) I now pin mine: -

SVA Latch
SVA Latch

Basically make a small hole on the thin bit near the rear of the catch. When close, you can then slide a pin (snug interference fit works fine for me) and due to the shape of the mount, it stops the catch from opening and therefore coming loose, even when warm.

For longevity, I'd probably glue a small washer inside to protect the hole from splitting, but mine's been okay without a washer for several years, and the bonnet has remained secure.

theduck - 16/1/18 at 11:24 AM

or just fit this type with the rubber covers caterham sell for iva

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/bonnets/5300-bonnet-catch-locking.html