Board logo

Fuel in exhaust
ruudbeckers - 19/5/18 at 04:52 PM

Unfortunately my kitcar did not pass MOT last week because the CO was way too high.
My car has an almost brand new C20xe engine (only 2000 miles old) with a DTA E48 en Innovate LC-1 wideband lambda controller.
While I was trying to do change some setting on the LC-1 and DTA ECU I made a small mistake.
I pushes a button that changes the timing of the injector from 90 degrees before TDC to 90 degrees after TDC.
I barely run after pushing the button and I think this caused to get quite some petrol to get into to exhaust.
Either this or some changes I made to the lamda settings.
However, now there is quite some fuel spitting from the exhaust.
I changes everything back to the original settings but I there is still quite some fuel coming from the exhaust.
Now I am not sure if this is because there are still some settings incorrect, or that this is fuel that is still left in the exhaust.

What is the change I killed my catalyc converter? The car has only run a few times a few minutes each after I made the mistake.
If it is left over fuel in the exhaust, how to get this out?
Will it be possible I damaged the engine itself?
I am a bit reluctant now to drive the car.

Regards, Ruud

[Edited on 19/5/18 by ruudbeckers]

theconrodkid - 19/5/18 at 06:57 PM

cat should be ok, they are pretty resiliant, if you have raw fuel in the exhaust, best not run but take the silencer off and run water through it to flush it out then let it get good and hot

harmchar - 19/5/18 at 07:04 PM

Would the fuel not evaporate itself if left for a week maybe two?
Looking at some YouTube vids of cars spitting flames on overrun fuelling, don't think a little fuel in the exhaust system will cause too much damage.

gremlin1234 - 19/5/18 at 07:11 PM

I think the first thing to do is remove the lambda sensor, and clean it with heat.

tanks (yea the big military things) used to pipe diesel into the exhaust to make smoke screens

harmchar - 20/5/18 at 10:34 AM

Sure my Mini Cooper S uses little droplets of fuel on to the exhaust to make all the popping and banging on overrun lift off. Haven't sussed out how it works yet, but it sounds great.