Board logo

Fan & switch
David Jenkins - 24/7/02 at 07:40 AM

I've got an electric fan, together with a Fiesta thermostat housing with a thermo switch on my x-flow.

I've been reading up on wiring practices and they often recommend using a fan relay. Fair enough, but the wiring would be a lot simpler if it was just

fuse -> switch -> fan -> chassis

What have other people done?

David

locodude - 24/7/02 at 05:55 PM

Hi David
You really need a relay and fused supply for the fan as it draws a large current. Check the locost car club site for help on electrics and how to wire the relay, I did and got it right first time. If you can't find the link mail me and I'll send you it as a word doc.
Chris PTM

David Jenkins - 25/7/02 at 07:50 AM

Bugger!

I was hoping to make life easier! On reflection, I should have realised that the coils in the fan will cause quite a bit of arcing at disconnect. Most words of wisdom I've read lately say "use a relay".

I'm currently working out the wiring diagram and loom layout - electrics is the one area in the car I can approach with some confidence, as it's about the only thing in the construction that I've done before (e.g. 25 years in the telecomms industry, a lot of it wiring stuff up).

cheers,

David

stephen_gusterson - 25/7/02 at 07:42 PM

i couldnt get the fiesta switch easily into my system using a ford V6 as there is no where to put it.

So my fan will run all the time - it still gets to temp in the garage and i recon my 2.4l V6 might need that little bit extra - using a volvo 240 rad - seems to be a good size for a locost

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson - 25/7/02 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Bugger!

I was hoping to make life easier! On reflection, I should have realised that the coils in the fan will cause quite a bit of arcing at disconnect. Most words of wisdom I've read lately say "use a relay".

I'm currently working out the wiring diagram and loom layout - electrics is the one area in the car I can approach with some confidence, as it's about the only thing in the construction that I've done before (e.g. 25 years in the telecomms industry, a lot of it wiring stuff up).

cheers,

David

I always thought the fiest didnta use a relay. CHeck a Haynes manual in your local library? The 950 mk1 didnt even have the switch - it ran all the time and you could by a retrofit switch , loom and housing if you wanted.

You could also get a suppressor cap from RS or Farnell - that will reduce the back emf from the motor a lot.

atb

steve

johnston - 25/7/02 at 07:49 PM

you can always run it through a manuel switch on the dash if u buy a relay it will or look at the instrutcion in a spot light fitting kit it will tell u how to wire it up.

david walker - 30/7/02 at 09:20 PM

You don't need a relay when using Fiesta fan switch

johnston - 30/7/02 at 10:15 PM

is there not a relay near the fuse box for it ????????

David Jenkins - 31/7/02 at 07:55 AM

I'm doing my own loom - I can have as many relays as I want!

I've decided to fit a relay, as (a) it seems like a good idea (b) I've got a suitable relay anyway, and (c) there's room in the relay box for it!

cheers,

David

chrisg - 31/7/02 at 07:32 PM

I've got a manual switch on the dash, no relay and a temp guage, I reckon I can watch the guage and switch on the fan when I need it.

I could stick a relay in I suppose, but I'm too busy with the engine.

Cheers

Chris

stephen_gusterson - 31/7/02 at 10:26 PM

so, when you do get your engine all nice and running right, you gonna trust your memory with the switch?

brave man!

atb

steve