Board logo

Hazard switch
David Jenkins - 19/8/02 at 11:58 AM

Help!

I'm busy working out my loom wiring diagram. All's going well at the moment, and I'll ordering the wires soon. However, I can't find any details about wiring a hazard lights switch.

My flasher relay is one of the electronic type with the capacity to flash all lights (i.e. both sides) simultaneously, so I don't need a hazard switch with built-in flasher.

My flasher is set up to work only when the ignition is on, but the hazards should ideally work when everything else is switched off.

So, can anyone tell me (a) what sort of hazard switch I should buy, and (b) how to wire it up?

Many thanks,

David

stephen_gusterson - 19/8/02 at 12:42 PM

Hi David.

I know I have answered this before for someone, but it might be on TOL.

I will try and remember to do you a piccie of a circuit for one later today and put it up in the pics section here.

I used a Ford Sierra (Granada actually) steering assembly, and it all comes nicely included. So I didnt have a problem.

Essentially, you need two power feeds. One is 'always on' for the hazards, the other switched for the inducators. (Although its perhaps not a problem to have indicators permanently powered?) So, as well as selecting the correct power source, the system needs to connect both of the indicator circuits together. Its not as bad as it sounds - the drawing will tell all.

Its ESSENTIAL to have the hazards working if the key is removed from the ignition, not just ideally.

atb

Steve

Trust me, im an electronics engineer

David Jenkins - 19/8/02 at 01:39 PM

quote:

Trust me, im an electronics engineer

I was a telecommunications engineer for 20+ years, and I still get confused by car wiring!

David

stephen_gusterson - 19/8/02 at 01:42 PM

yep. Well, if you look at the haynes manual for the ford wiring of the integral column switch, you would NEVER understand how its done

atb

steve

theconrodkid - 19/8/02 at 05:15 PM

its all done with mirrors,look at an iveco fusebox,psycadelic spagetti or what

merlin - 19/8/02 at 08:39 PM

You're bloody right! STUFF THE HAYNES MANUAL WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!!! spent three nights trying to suss the wiring on my 2 stalks, got the hazards to work but the indicators refuse outright!! Light stalk not a problem, hazards no problem but them soddin' indicators, well, nuff said! Surely in an open top car they're not essential? Got long arms, will point where I'm going!

On a serious note, do the indicators only work if ALL the lights are connected giving the correct resistance?? If so, why do the hazards work? (I am working on the bench with a battery and a volt meter).

stephen_gusterson - 19/8/02 at 10:20 PM

usually, if you have a bulb out, it flashes fast or not at all.

David Jenkins has also asked a question on indicators today, so i have posted a couple of scrappy drawings on the pics section.

The indicators one shows how a sierra is wired, and is used on my car. This nice simple diagram includes the hazards too (so read and weep david!).

The hazard one is a way of wiring them, but needs a four pole change over switch. It may also be possible to use some power diodes instead. Im sure you will figure how with an electronics background, but give a shout if you need help!

Hope the drawings help....

I also have one on the sierra lighting if anyone wants that, in similar high quality hand CAD format

atb

steve

David Jenkins - 20/8/02 at 08:17 AM

I would have no trouble understanding how to wire the hazards if I knew how the s*dding switches were configured!

There are umpteen different switches available, some with flashers, some without. No catalogue shows the pin-outs, which doesn't help in the slightest.

I had come to pretty much the same wiring arrangement as your first diagram, but have no idea which switch to buy - it has to have the right switches in it, but also has to be SVA friendly as far as shape is concerned(not so critical as it will probably be mounted in a recess, out of the reach of the tester's gauge.)

Power diodes in the flasher feed is a good idea - I might play around with that concept, if I can't find a proper switch.

cheers,

David

stephen_gusterson - 20/8/02 at 09:01 AM

How about going to a breakers and stripping out a switch and the wiring to the stalk of a sierra? It might be easier to rob bits of that and graft it on your own indicator switch once you can see how its wired.

atb

Steve.

PS - im sure RS or Farnell will have a four pole relay that you could use - the relay could be switched by a much smaller switch on the dash.

theconrodkid - 20/8/02 at 10:28 PM

i used a couple of diodes from tandy,s to seperate hazard from indicator,the rest is so simple,but then im a clever git.

David Jenkins - 21/8/02 at 07:49 AM

...everyone hates a smartarse!!

No worries, tho' - I rang Premier Wiring to see what they recommended (I got the flasher from them). Their catalogue shows a Hella switch at around £14.50, which he said was most suitable - "and it's £10, because we got a good deal on the last batch we bought, and if you've got a pen I'll tell you which wires go where". Pretty good service!

I'll be putting in an order soon for a heap of cable and connectors, so I will probably add one of those as well...

cheers,

David

Peteff - 2/10/02 at 11:24 AM

I used the sierra column with mk3 fiesta switches which are same but have the horn push on the stalk. It took some figuring, but (using the Haynes manual and a tester) I sorted it. I found the switch pinouts in the book very useful and once I twigged that the switch earths the relays it all became clear.

yours, Pete

MB - 5/11/02 at 08:47 PM

I have seen the comments on Haynes manuals in earlier replies. Generally I agree - they are useless except for one book - The Haynes book of Automotive Electrical and Electronic Systems Manual. Worth every penny and includes a section on how indicators and hazards work - Get it!

stephen_gusterson - 5/11/02 at 09:15 PM

would that mean 'build your own......250 quid" which is by Haynes is also crap?

atb

steve