Board logo

Headlamp Wiring
RobBrown - 22/8/02 at 11:23 AM

I have got the stage of wiring all the lights. Pretty much there, all Flashers working fine, Front and rear side light OK as well
I have spent 3 nights trying to wire up the Headlights Dim and dip. I am using the Haynes Manual as a guide (as it worked with the above), but the 4 relays it uses has completely baffled me.
I even tried to do away with the relays and wire them directly with a normal switch, but I am finding that only one of the lights work at any one time this way.
Do any of you have a diagram I can follow? or any tips(Apart from burn the Haynes manual!!).
I'd ideally like to use the stalks from my donor (a Sierra).
Cheers
Rob

theconrodkid - 22/8/02 at 05:00 PM

You dont need dim dip,if you are using the ford loom they are fused ,one each side,looks like disconect the wiring and start again using a circuit tester instead of a wiring diagram,what relays are you using,4 or 5 pin?

stephen_gusterson - 22/8/02 at 05:53 PM

wiring up the main lights is easy - i can confirm you dont need dim dips. You will need relays for the lamps tho.

I have another hand drawing of how I did mine with ford bits. let me know if you want me to post it.

atb

steve

RobBrown - 22/8/02 at 09:27 PM

The 4 relays I have been using are a mixture of 4 & 5 pins. Each of the relays are labelled as follows:
Dim/Dip Relay II (5 pin)
Dim/Dip Relay B (4 pin)
Dip Beam Relay F (4 pin)
High Beam Relay X (5 pin).
I am not using the loom from the Sierra, as there was so much of it I didn't need, that I got over exited and removed a lot more than I should have done. So I am virtually starting from scratch.

Since Dim/Dips are not required I'll do away with all these relays and get the circuit tester out, and i'll try and work it out that way.
Do I still need to fuse the left and right independently, and the main beam independently from the full beam (i.e. 4 fuses for the headlamps)

Thanks

RobBrown - 22/8/02 at 09:28 PM

The 4 relays I have been using are a mixture of 4 & 5 pins. Each of the relays are labelled as follows:
Dim/Dip Relay II (5 pin)
Dim/Dip Relay B (4 pin)
Dip Beam Relay F (4 pin)
High Beam Relay X (5 pin).
I am not using the loom from the Sierra, as there was so much of it I didn't need, that I got over exited and removed a lot more than I should have done. So I am virtually starting from scratch.

Since Dim/Dips are not required I'll do away with all these relays and get the circuit tester out, and i'll try and work it out that way.
Do I still need to fuse the left and right independently, and the main beam independently from the full beam (i.e. 4 fuses for the headlamps)

Thanks

theconrodkid - 22/8/02 at 10:40 PM

Best to keep it simple,i got 1 fuse for sides and 1 for main 1 for dip

stephen_gusterson - 22/8/02 at 11:45 PM

simple is good, and i used 1 fuse per beam, and one for sides too.

however, the right way is to use one per beam. that stops a short taking out all the lights on a dark road. sure youu could grab the dip switch and change over, but its not so good.

There is nothing 'trick' about the headlamp relay, however some have diodes and crap in em which isnt good. Best way is to take some from a car fuse box thats telling you what they are! On a ford granada/sierra, the correct relay is black. The coil connects to pins 85 and 86 and the switched contacts are 87 and 30.

4 pins only

atb

steve

RobBrown - 23/8/02 at 12:10 PM

Thanks Chaps,
I'll give that a go this weekend

Rob