Board logo

SVA "Specified zone" - Switchgear.
Sideways 2 Victory - 8/10/02 at 08:45 PM

SVA question after reading the SVA manual and seeing a window of opportunity.

In section 6 -interior fitting- annexe is a diagram showing the dims. of the exempt area behind the steering wheel.

Does this exemption simply allow me to cluster all my guages and switches into this area and not worry about protrusion length or edge radius? Or am I missing something in the regs?

My idea is to fit the biggest diameter wheel that will allow my legs under and then lay out the switches and guages within a relatively large area of dash, claiming exemption, then put a "proper" wheel on after SVA.

I have a box of mixed stainless 25mm toggle switches which I would like to use.

is it legit?

Cheers

Dave

david walker - 8/10/02 at 09:36 PM

In short, yes it is legitimate and you will be OK with what you propose. It is not a new idea however and is fairly commonplace. My SVA examiner (Watnall - Nottm) told me that several cars were presented in this manner and there is nothing they can (or particularly want to) do about it. Stuart Taylor do it.

He also told me of several other dodges that are used including from supposed "quality" car builders, ie Ginetta, Westfield, Caterham ...

Sideways 2 Victory - 8/10/02 at 09:48 PM

David,

Good News, thx,

Wasnt trying to "claim" the idea, just thought about what I had read and wanted confirmation.
Is it still legit to use say long plastic toggle switches to aid reaching them in a 4 point harness?

Could you have a bracket holding several switches mounted on the back of the wheel centre boss and still pass?

That whole "exempt" area is totally free?

Great!

Dave

philgregson - 7/11/02 at 01:33 PM

Just out of interest (as I believe the whole SVA thing is for our own safety and therefore ridgidly adhered to!!) what dodges might these be?:

p.s. why can't I put smileys inside the brackets?

JohnFol - 7/11/02 at 02:06 PM

(like this ? )

philgregson - 7/11/02 at 02:16 PM

Thats not fair - thats cheating

How did you do that then 'cos I couldn't (). Crikey I just did.

It wouldn't let me last time - honest.

I'll get my coat.