Board logo

Loom bindings
scutter - 24/11/02 at 10:25 PM

What are people binding there looms with?

Only asking as a car failed SVA at southampton because the inspector didn't think that the non-adhesive tape would offer any protection against chaffing

(nobody likes chaffing)

As always awaiting your pearls of wisdom. Dan

chrisg - 24/11/02 at 10:52 PM

I used the spial binding type stuff - it's a flexible plastic spiral, slips over the wiring then contracts to hold it.

Got mine from Vehicle Wiring Products

Cheers

Chris

stephen_gusterson - 24/11/02 at 11:08 PM

surely its gonna depend if the wire is in a position to chafe.

spiral binding like Chris says is useful as its easy to branch wires out of but a bit of a pain to wrap around.

I used solid flexy plastictrunking in 3 places on my car

1. across the back of the dash as a main route for cables behind it.

2. from the dash to the front right of the car (where all the lighting comes from)

3. From the dash, throu the tranny tunnel to the rear - fule pump, sender and lights.

Where the wire isnt in a critical or chafing place youy can use cable ties or plastic tubing.

atb

steve

scutter - 25/11/02 at 05:21 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, I can see that this is going to take some thinking about as i would like a profressional job as possible.

Thanks again. Dan

theconrodkid - 25/11/02 at 05:27 PM

for the easiest and neatest job the split stuf renaults and citroens use is best or as chrisg says spiral wrap from vwp

stephen_gusterson - 25/11/02 at 07:13 PM

another way to do it is with lacing cord - I know how to do this - its basically a kind of simple knitting of loops of cord over the loom. This is the way the military do it. I saw exposed looms when I was shown around a C130 herc six months ago at Lynham - the loom was just in front of the pilots feet on the floor behind the windscreen. When I pointed this out to my pilot relation, he didnt see that as a problem!

atb

steve

scutter - 25/11/02 at 11:31 PM

I would use lacing cord but it's a bit exposed, we use it on tornados,harriers and jags, but it doesn't matter on military aircraft as the wiring's normally inside a big tin can,

may use the idea for binding the looms inside the convoluted tube.

(Don't mention Herc's have just spent three days in one coming back from the states, headache has just gone)

Have decided to use a combination of tubing and spiral-wrap as I found some at work!!!!

stephen_gusterson - 25/11/02 at 11:38 PM

quote:

(Don't mention Herc's have just spent three days in one coming back from the states, headache has just gone)

The toilet is particularly impressive - just kinda a basin on the wall.....and then it gets sprayed out the back of the aircraft.

Nice.

Atb

Steve

scutter - 26/11/02 at 12:08 AM

Ar last the world see the s**t or should i say pi*s that we have to deal with.!!!

David Jenkins - 26/11/02 at 09:21 AM

Any form of binding is acceptable for most of the loom - it's only where the loom passes close to something else that you need to do more.

'More' can be spiral binding, pvc tubing, foam rubber on the chassis, or even fixings that hold the loom firmly away from whatever is liable to cause the chafing.

It isn't just the wiring loom - the brake and fuel pipes should be protected from any chance of chafing or rubbing.

These things also need to be protected against excessive heat as well, and the best protection there is to route them far away from the exhaust manifold and other hot bits.

David