Board logo

electronic ignition?
mark_rayfield - 9/12/02 at 05:57 PM

Has anyone/everyone using a x-flow swapped it to electronic ignition?

The kits are pretty steep, but apparently there are second-hand ones that just swap so long as the coil and connector come with it?

Only other question is about getting the timing right once the swap's done - is it a nightmare?

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

theconrodkid - 9/12/02 at 06:57 PM

i used a dizzy out of a fiesta 1100,just 3 wires and change the coil,setting the timing is the same as with points

paulbeyer - 9/12/02 at 10:37 PM

What year Fiesta? and would it fit on a Pinto engine?

theconrodkid - 10/12/02 at 06:52 PM

fiesta dizzy wont fit a pinto,no oil pump drive,all seirra pinto,s used electronic so just find one of them,make sure it has 3 wires ,conect up same as fiesta dizzy,had it writen down lost it again,if you want the colours mail me and ill get them again.

mark_rayfield - 11/12/02 at 05:00 PM

cheers muchly conrod.

Any idea how much I should expect to shell out for the dizzy, leads, coil, etc?

Do electric ones look very different to mechanical ones, or do all fiestas just have electric?

Stu16v - 11/12/02 at 11:28 PM

Look out for dizzys that have three wires going to them as opposed to just one. Otherwise externally at least, they look the same.
I reckon about 15 to 30 beer tokens will have the dizzy, coil, and igntion amplifier in your garage. Try to get as much of the relevent wiring as possible too, at the very least, chop off the multi plugs with a fair bit of wiring attached.

HTH Stu.

jollygreengiant - 11/12/02 at 11:43 PM

But dont grab the fiesta one thats a black block with three wires in and four HT leads out cos thats DIS.

david walker - 12/12/02 at 10:40 PM

But thats the one I've used!

jollygreengiant - 16/12/02 at 11:17 PM

I presume then dave that you re-maped the ignition control & fitted a CPS & register

theconrodkid - 17/12/02 at 06:02 PM

Jolly green giant,on DIS how does each pair of coils know when its their turn to fire as the cps only knows 1 position on the flywheel,been bugging me for years and not explained in my data books???

jollygreengiant - 17/12/02 at 10:41 PM

All ignition data is (ie spark timing ) mapped onto chip. CPS sensor counts teeeth on timing ring as that shows up as sinewave to ecu. Timing zero (sometimes tdc but more usually about 20degrees before tdc No1 Cyl) is usually marked by a missing tooth. For ease lets say that timing ring has 359 teeth (plus missing tooth). So from zero mark ECU counts 11 teeth ( 20 - [11 & missing tooth = 12] = 8 deg BTDC) & then fires ignition on No's 1 & 4,(No 4 = wasted spark [but ECU dosn't know this].)
ecu then counts 180teeth & fires No's 2 & 3. (No 3 = wasted spark [Same]),
counts 179(+mising), Fires 1&4 (1 Wasted [same])
counts 180, fires 2&3 (2 Wasted [same])
and thats the cycle of a firing order 1243 so it just carries on going etc and at 3000rpm thats happening at about 50 times a second plus calling up the data to allow for changes in timing due to rpm/load/temp etc

theconrodkid - 18/12/02 at 05:25 PM

cheers for that,it had me baffled for years but as you explained it its so simple(like me)

jollygreengiant - 18/12/02 at 07:22 PM

No Problemo conrod glad you unerstood.

Took me ages to try & get down simple,
I have been of sick from work for amonth now with a Nadgered Neck, just starting to get better & thith munin woek upth wiff da Lur5geyb & heffery time I ssssssNEEEEEZe it rickme neck Dont no wever tocurlupndie orfalldunndie.

ENJOY. Steeve I need dat skotchthchth

God bleth foaum collarth

theconrodkid - 18/12/02 at 09:52 PM

u bin drinkin?

jollygreengiant - 18/12/02 at 11:01 PM

Nah, thanks for asking. just the way I feel with this bally cold/lurgy that I got. Did my neck in, been off a month with it & now every time I sneeze it bl**dy hurts. the painb goes slowly & then I feel lousy with the lurgy again ------ Then sneeze & round, & round, & round it goes. Plus Alchohol doesnt mix very well with pain killers & I'm asthmatic to boot. Wish I was in shefield then Chrisg could get his hands on me & the mortgage would get paid!

Oh & I got told that management think Im pullin a fast one so they're comin to do a home visit on me on Friday.

Love you all.

[Edited on 18/12/02 by jollygreengiant]

chrisg - 18/12/02 at 11:23 PM

I think you'll find this sort of thing happens to anyone who takes the p*ss out of me

I know Voodoo

( I know lots of foreign words)

Cheers

Chris

P.S get well soon, mate!

jollygreengiant - 19/12/02 at 08:27 AM

Cheers Babe. Im getting a bit P*ss*d of with doin nowt. Any way I like people brave enough to put up snaps of themselves. Shows confidence.

chrisg - 19/12/02 at 06:57 PM

I'm in the same boat really, had a back operation in November, still strugling a bit, that's why I'm always on here anoying people!!!

Cheers

Chris

david walker - 19/12/02 at 07:48 PM

Jolly, Sorry for the belated reply but yes I fitted the distributorless system off an HCS Fiesta some time ago.

I had originaaly used the Valencia Fiesta electronic dist. set up but is awakward to get to on a Locost underneath the forties. I also developed a misfire (which later turned out to be a fuelling problem) so I ditched the distributor and stuck a core plug in the hole!

I fitted the coil pack to the bulkhead wired in the ESC unit, fitted the Fiesta temp sender into the manifold and vacc pipe into one of the inlet tracts. Instead of triggering from the flywheel as with the Fiesta I modded a CVH Sierra front pulley to fit the crossflow. I alloy welded a machined up mounting to carry the CPS sensor on the timing chain cover.

My 1700 crossflow is moderately tuned and at tickover, without vaccuum I have set at it 12 deg and it runs max advance at about 34 deg. The motors fine with it.

The whole set up cost a tenner as I recall and that included sensors, ESC unit, front pulley, wiring the lot.

If I ever fit a Zetec I'll use the same system. I don't claim any originallity for the idea, I know a number of tuned XE Vauxhalls using the same and they are also happy. Problem for them is that rev limiter cuts in at 7500, buts thats OK for my road going Locost.

jollygreengiant - 19/12/02 at 10:36 PM

If it works don't knock it.

Had a twinc sierra in one day would it run would it b**gg*ry. first thought - chain wrong.

hooked up my scanner & found ECU dead.

Fit new ECU still no start.

Muonting bolt dropped out of R/H chainguide top. dropped down through chain (no Dammage)

bounced along sump past bigends (no damage) apparently he was pulling 120 when this hapend

Caught timing ring in engine attached to No3 B/E juornal and removed quite neatly ONE extra finger.

Result very confused ECU (1, 2, 3, 4, 5,, 6, 7, 8.... 15 --EH 1 again should be 16) ECU went t*ts up & died of self confusion.

£500 ECU

£450 to remove engine, stip out crank fit new ring (£5) & rebiuld/fit JD.