Board logo

Relays ect...........
Jon Ison - 30/3/02 at 04:09 PM

Now then electrical guru's, i'm doin me own lectrics, engine as its own loom and is no problem but i'm using a nissan micra indicator stalk (cos i like it n its free)the wires to this seem very small/thin so i asume i need to fire relays for lights, main n dip any way so wot relays do i want and how do i wire em up properly....thamks in anticipation Jon.

ChrisW - 30/3/02 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Now then electrical guru's

that'd be me then!

How simple do you want this?

Chris

Jon Ison - 31/3/02 at 02:15 PM

try..very simple....oh and info on indicators/hazards would be nice to....be gentle with me ??????????

stephen_gusterson - 1/4/02 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Now then electrical guru's, i'm doin me own lectrics, engine as its own loom and is no problem but i'm using a nissan micra indicator stalk (cos i like it n its free)the wires to this seem very small/thin so i asume i need to fire relays for lights, main n dip any way so wot relays do i want and how do i wire em up properly....thamks in anticipation Jon.

I ama hardware / software guy by profession, so if that lures you into beleiving the below

I wired my car up using ford bits. The standard light on switch ( the rotary one fitted to the granda mk3) basically has two circuits. The first 'on' position supplies the side lamps, number plates, dash lights, etc. The second position supplies power to the headlamps.

The wire from the main light switch goes from there to the 'common' wire thats switched to the main and dipped switch.

You then need two relays. I suggest you get them from a ford in a scrappy as they are almost free instead of paying 4 quid or so for them.

The relays should be the four pole type.

Use the ones from the lighting cct. I think the red ones have an internal diode that will screw you up so avoid them. I think its the blue ones you need. If in doubt, always connect the positive side of the coil to pin 86.

The relays will have numbers by the terminals.

Pin 86 is the +ve side of the relay coil, 85 is the other side.

30 and 87 are the relay contacts.

(Who thought of those friggin numbers?)

Example here is for dipped beam. Repeat for main.

Take a wire from the supply through a 15a fuse, run it to pin 30 of the relay (lamp power). Take 87 to the headlights.

Now, take your 'dip' wire from the switch, and connect it to pin 86. Connect 85 to chassis ground.

Your done.

So, the control power comes from light switch, through common wire of the dip switch, through the switch to the dip beam wire. This goes to the relay (86) and then to ground (85).

The light power comes from battery via a fuse, to pin 30 of relay. Pin 87 then carries relay (switched) power to the lamps.

A picture would say a 1000 words here. I hope that didnt read like total bollocks.

ATB

Steve

stephen_gusterson - 1/4/02 at 07:29 PM

for 'four pole'

read

four pin

Jon Ison - 1/4/02 at 08:34 PM

thnx steve, it was the numbers bit on the relays i needed, ta. what about winkers, note i did put winkers, it is an I not an A........

stephen_gusterson - 2/4/02 at 03:55 PM

quote:
thnx steve, it was the numbers bit on the relays i needed, ta. what about winkers, note i did put winkers, it is an I not an A........

Ahh,

now that was something I was pondering.

Then, I noticed that the steering assembly and stalks that come with the granada/sierra has the flasher relay and all the wiring, and the hazard switch, built in. Made life much easier.

I recon the hassle is the hazard switch.

In an indicator system, the flasher unit is just wired in series with the indicator stalk, which then switches to the lhs or rhs lamps. No relays. HOWEVER when you want to switch on the hazards, you effectively have to put on both lhs and rhs lights at the same time.

In thr ford assby, its all done for you. I suspect and only suspect, that if you used a 2 pole (2 switches) switch, wired from the 'common' of the indicator switch, to the lhs and rhs output wires (basically alowing both 'channels' to be switched at once) would do the trick. You might need and extra 'way' in the switch, cos you also need to wire in a hazard light. Again, in mr fords offering, its all there.

If you didnt understand that at all, shout and i will email you a sketch.

ATB

Steve

Not a winker at all

Jon Ison - 2/4/02 at 04:01 PM

ta...