Board logo

Duratec pistons
neilp1 - 3/2/17 at 08:40 PM

Just been cleaning up my pistons ready for the rebuild and I have 3 x B2 pistons & 1x B1 piston. Anyone else come across this?

jtskips - 3/2/17 at 08:57 PM

Theres a new set of pistons rings and rods out of a new engine on ebay £39.99 free post x 4

Dick - 3/2/17 at 08:59 PM

Yes its common in engines that are mass produced it means you have one that has a different bore size just need to find out what cylinder it is and don't forget you need to gap the piston rings to match the size of them.

neilp1 - 3/2/17 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jtskips
Theres a new set of pistons rings and rods out of a new engine on ebay £39.99 free post x 4

I already have a brand new set of B2's which I was going to use but with having 1 x B1 not sure if I can use all 4

jtskips - 3/2/17 at 10:15 PM

Got a few old sets in the garage will check them in the morning see what markings are on them, did notice a slightly different pattern on the side of the newer pistons 2006 compared to the 2001

neilp1 - 3/2/17 at 10:49 PM

Yes I did notice the difference.
What happens when you buy after market forged pistons as they only come in standard or oversized not B1, B2 etc

jtskips - 3/2/17 at 11:09 PM

Sorry neil i was thinking std pistons ,nice to see you're putting performance ones in, only thing i would do is obviously make sure there the same size but i would weight them to make sure jt

neilp1 - 4/2/17 at 10:03 AM

I'm putting in std pistons, it was just a question if you were buying aftermarket ones

FuryRebuild - 4/2/17 at 01:08 PM

Is it not too late to get a re-bore and go slightly over-size? That's what I did to get peace of mind.

davidimurray - 4/2/17 at 01:47 PM

I remember the same thing on mine. Have you got the Ford build manual? From memory it has specs for bore diameter versus pistons that fit. I remember bore mic'ing mine to check them

Hornet - 5/2/17 at 08:21 AM

Hi Neil. What's wrong with old odd sizes piston? If you measure I think you will find very very small wear if any. I would just use new rings and make sure gapped. If you think about it you are just throwing new pistons into the other cylinders without knowing the actual wear in them. You have no idea of the wear in the actual cylinders. If you are wanting top top performance it needs rebored and then correct size pistons fitted. If just fast road and the odd track day then use what you have. It's all relative m8