Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: small alternators
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/6/04 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
small alternators

http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/alternators.html

PowerLite lightweight Alternators are designed to reach into places "others" cannot! Weighing in at a skinny 3 Kg, and around 115 mm in diameter, these little alternators will help solve the eternal space problem many constructors have.

All PowerLite alternators are fitted with Single Wire connections as standard, have internal regulators and an integral system that draws air through the unit for cooling.

With 4 different bracket designs, lightweight pulleys in any dimension, and charging at a plentiful 45 or 55 amps, although up to 100 amps is possible, we are confident that one of our units will fit into any car.

greggors84

posted on 6/6/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Any prices on these?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/6/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought an alt from the scrappies, Kia Pride ('92), its only 120mm diameter, 130mm long and the lugs are 12 & 6 o'clock - cost a fiver.

Still need to figure out how to wire it though!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

SeaBass

posted on 6/6/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Talking of alternators and having just had some fun at the scrappy getting bits for our Zetec conversion this might be useful and in the Locost spirt.

I removed a Nippon Denso alternator from a Suzuki Swift. This thing is tiny and contains it's own regulator. I believe this is the same as the Daihatsu Charade alternator people talk of. If you take a look in the Demon Tweeks catalogue they list 'Brise' competition altenators which are the same unit brand new at £169.

Strangely enough this little alternator is rated at 45 amps?? See a link here describing an install.

http://home-1.tiscali.nl/~svos/alternator.html

Cheers

Mr G

posted on 5/12/04 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
yup that Nippon denso alternator is the baby to use.

We got ours from a daihatsu charade in the scrappies then went to a local lucas centre and got a pulley wheel to fit it that would take the vauxhall belt.

Wiring :

You obviously have the main live out to the starter (then onto the battery) Pin 3

Then the two terminals in a 'T' configuration

Pin 1 is your battery charge warning light
Pin 2 is a + feed from your ignition

HTH

Cheers

G

[Edited on 5/12/04 by Mr G]

Trev Borg

posted on 5/12/04 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
are there any smaller ones. I'm getting a little tight for space.

I'm sure that alternators fromplant have been metioned before. Mini diggers and alike.

Also I've been told that one on the mitsubishi cars has a really small one (uh err)

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

Peteff

posted on 5/12/04 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Brother in laws mini digger uses the same nippon denso as those shown. I've seen them used on refrigerator truck motors as well. The only things I've seen that are smaller come in motorbike engines.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr G

posted on 5/12/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
You aint gonna get much smaller than the Nippon Denso shown to be honest (at a reasonable cost anyway) and also still produce a half decent output! I'm not sure if the photo is making it look bigger than it actually is

Failing that forget the alternator and buy a lorry battery you charge up in the garage regular

Cheers

G

mad-butcher

posted on 6/12/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
dihatsu charade ,suzuki vitara as mr g says you ain't gonna get much smaller about half the size and half the weight of the ford one I pay about a tenner for them at the scrappy
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Trev Borg

posted on 6/12/04 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
looks like I'm gonna be top mounting mine, or maybe face it backwards. The bloody great big V6 thing is tending to take too much of me room.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.