Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radio?
Northy

posted on 15/9/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Radio?

Who has fitted a radio to their car?

When driving to work in mine last week I really missed having one! I know, sad isn't it?

I was thinking of fitting jack plugs to the tunnel top, and using earphones to listen to it, but I have a feeling this is illegal. Can anyone confirm this?

Otherwise I'll have to find somewhere to fit the 6x9's and the amp!

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris_R

posted on 15/9/04 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know for sure, but I thought it was illegal too. I think you'd be able to squeeze a couple of 6x9s and an amp over the tank, may be a couple of 5" speakers in the dash. Would be interested to see photos if you do.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 15/9/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a guy driving a c aterham around near here wearing huge wwII bomber captain scale can headphones. quite amusing, but probably means you can hear radio 4 nicely and keep your ears warm.
splitrivet

posted on 15/9/04 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just as an aside whats the din size on a radio is it 7 inches by 2 ??
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

scoobyis2cool

posted on 16/9/04 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Could you fit a single speaker in the rear bulkhead in between the seats? At least that would be pretty close to your ears and you might have a chance of hearing it over the wind!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

ned

posted on 16/9/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
We saw a locust at doningon that had 6x9's fitted on the rear boot cover, though he said he couldn't hear them very well when driving..
I think a screen and side screens helps a lot with the noise in a 7...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

twinturbo

posted on 16/9/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't carry passengers often then you could slot a nice 12" SUB box in the passenger foot well

TT

wilkingj

posted on 16/9/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
If it were illegal to not have hearing (ie to have impaired hearing from loud music) then Deaf people would not be able to hold a driving licence. Its not illegal, however you may get done for driving with out due care and attention etc.
Also You WILL drive faster, as you cant hear the engine / road noise etc.

GeoffW

wilkingj

posted on 16/9/04 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it were illegal to not have hearing (ie to have impaired hearing from loud music) then Deaf people would not be able to hold a driving licence. Its not illegal, however you may get done for driving with out due care and attention etc.
Also You WILL drive faster, as you cant hear the engine / road noise etc.

GeoffW

locoboy

posted on 17/9/04 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Nice point and well presented both times Wilkingj

ATB
Locoboy

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/9/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
im not sure thats a valid argument.

certain disabilities - like one handed people driving cars - are acceptable.

try driving past a policeman one handed and see if you can get away with it on that logic.

atb

steve

Hellfire

posted on 17/9/04 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
im not sure thats a valid argument.

certain disabilities - like one handed people driving cars - are acceptable.

try driving past a policeman one handed and see if you can get away with it on that logic.

atb

steve

To be honest - if Stevie bloody Wonder was driving, the police wouldn't care. As long as he wasn't exceeding the speed limit! If they can gain easy revenue then they are interested!

wilkingj

posted on 21/9/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
When I get my finshed motor on the road, I will definately have a Radio in it. I cant live without being able to chat to friends across the world. Its the mounting Brackets on the top of the roll cage that I am worried about. Getting them through the SVA. they wont like the raduissed edges of a 18" x 4" x 3mm steel plate welded to the back of the rollcage just for a couple or three aerails.

Trouble is the low frequency aerials will make the car look like a fairground Dogem car! (its about 10ft / 3metres high)

(I am a Radio Amateur)
And the names Geoff

PS... sorry about the stutter (dual posting!)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Chris_R

posted on 23/9/04 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
A TV journalist stole David Blunkett's identity in a Day Of The Jackel style and applied for a provisional driving license with it. He got it without so much as a "FREEZE YA BASTARD! YA NICKED" from the security services.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.