Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VDO Gauges
Dusty

posted on 22/11/04 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
VDO Gauges

Visited the Exeter show over the weekend. Much enjoyed. Got carried away and bought a set of VDO gauges. Clever electrical speedo can use a pickup supplied by them at £50, or Hall effect, inductive or interuption oscillator. Have to admit I'm electronicaly clueless but it seemed that it shouldn't cost £50 to make some sort of pickup. Any suggestions Please?
Mr G

posted on 22/11/04 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
How many wires for the input?

Depending on the input and if its clever enough I would of thought a cycle sensor (inductive?) setup would mate up to it?

The cycle clock requires you to measure out the circumference of the wheel per revolution and enter this figure into it - i take it your clock would do the same.

Cheers

G

bob

posted on 22/11/04 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
HAve a look in my archive,is the VDo speedo the same as mine,I've got 6 magnets on the driveshaft flange which came with a sender from merlin motorsport £30 i have since learnt these senders can be bought for half the price with the magnets from http://www.lowtension.com

Dusty

posted on 22/11/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Looks identical, Bob. 140 mph single button and six contacts on the back. I bought it from lowtension and they want £50 for a sender! Which one on their website could you adapt for £15?
Mr G, various ways of calibrating, including number of signals per mile which is essentialy wheel diameter + maths.

[Edited on 22/11/04 by Dusty]

bob

posted on 22/11/04 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Re lowtensions prices,maybe i was quoted wrong.did they quote you that price ?

anyway at least http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk sell them for less.

I calibrated mine by measuring a mile with a pushbike speedo,fixed sensor to back wheel jacked up car stuck it in 5th finger on button dump the clutch one mile on the bike speedo and pushed the button again,didnt know if it worked properly till i went to for SVA luckilly it was well within the limits for test.
The speedo is great because you can also calibrate manually if slightly out.

Rob Lane

posted on 23/11/04 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
You'll probably find it has an output and a pulse input as one of its options.

The senders for this are usually an encapsulated 'glass reed switch' and magnets. One side of reed switch is connected to pulse out and other to pulse in. Any rotating magnet passing the reed switch closes the contact and creates a pulse.

Making one up is a doddle and switch is obtainable from Maplin for pennies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.