Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: battery maintainance
jacko

posted on 23/11/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
battery maintainance

hi-all Could anyone tell me what to do with my car battery while the car is off the road for 6 months. Should I drain the battery with a small bulb and recharge at regular intervals. Or will the battery be ok if I do nothing? Its only a few months old and I dont want to ruin it. Thanks Jacko
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 23/11/04 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
In ascending order of usefulness:

1. Leave it in the car, disconnected. It will lose some charge and may get sulphated (not good).

2. Discharge and recharge (as you said) - better, but no need for a bulb, as it will discharge by itself anyway. Just charge it up with a decent charger every few weeks.

3. Charge it normally, then put a trickle charger on it (about £10 from Halfrauds). Slight risk of overcharging, but works for most people.

4. Get a posh charger that monitors the voltage and charges when it goes below a certain level (£30 - £40). These give a short charge a couple of times per day. Best option, but not cheap!

rgds,

David

Hasse

posted on 24/11/04 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
A lead/acid battery shall be kept fully charged at all times for longest possible life time.
A self discharge is always present, so charge at intervalls during the winter (every 6 weeks or so).
Every dischagre "use up" some of the life time. The deeper discharge, the more of the life time wasted. Example: a 5% discharge is possible about 1000 times, while a 25% is possible about 250 times, before reaching a specific performance reduction. Valid for automotive batteries.

So for the best "winter rest" keep it fully charged and stored cool and dry since this minimizes the self discharge.
/Hasse

David Jenkins

posted on 28/11/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
In the end I decided to buy one of these things:

Oxford Oximiser

I have just bought one - not received it yet so obviously not tried it, but I have seen many people praise it. Time will tell!

I could have built an equivalent (see Rob Lane's pictures for a construction article) but in the end I couldn't be bothered. I'll let you know how it works out...

rgds,

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.