Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator fan/pulley
furryeggs

posted on 4/6/16 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator fan/pulley

I need to move my engine 20mm ish forward to get my prop in the right position as its fully engaged at the minute. Doing this however will make the alternator fan thingy catch the top chassis rail.

I have a retro ford alternator kit and 70amp ACR type alternator that has the fan behind the pulley. Can I remove this or trim the fan blades to give me enough clearance, there's no more adjustment on the bracket as it'll then start to catch my TB's. I don't want to go out and spend more money as I'm really really fed up of buying things twice as I have a hole garage filled with bits I don't need or can't use.

any ideas guys

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 4/6/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it be easier to get the prop shortened .
cliftyhanger

posted on 4/6/16 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
The fans are usually a couple of mm thick, so not much help. Besides, the fan is there for a reason, best left. And moving the pully postion will mess up the belt alignment.
benchmark51

posted on 5/6/16 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think I remember someone who fitted a ST170 engine into a seven and had a similar problem with the inlet manifold fouling the chassis rail. He modified the chassis rail to give clearance. Looked a pretty neat job. My pinto is quite a close fit too, but just got away with it. I would have made a different alternator bracket otherwise.
owelly

posted on 5/6/16 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Surely, if you have IRS then the diff doesn't move? You can keep the setup as it is.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 5/6/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Can you post photo showing problem?

Engienes are rubber mounted so will move a bit, not a lot but even if you trim the blafes, they may well catch. If they catches chances are belt will fail and water pump if driven by same belt stops and if you dont spot it engive overheats possibly danaging it.

Alternator runs at 2x engine speed so fan shoukd be balance or premature bearing failure.

Can you use a smaller alternator, some gave fan bkades inside bidy ir remake braket to mive it,fan belts come in different lengths giving options for positions.

I dont think trimming the blades is a good idea, also look to get 20 mm or more gap between engine to chassis distance.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/6/16 at 03:35 AM Reply With Quote
I dont see a problem cutting the blades.
What is the total electrical load on your car?
If well below the Amp Rating of the Alternator, you shouldn´t have overheating which in turn lead to premature failure.
Regarding the balance, I don´t think it is critical either as long as you keep it tidy, that is, no obvious large differences in blade sizes.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
furryeggs

posted on 22/6/16 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
This is how close my Alternator is to the chassis rail. I have 10mm ish of prop movement space. I can angle the engine over slightly but then the starter will be close to touching on the bottom rail.

[img][/img]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/6/16 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
This is how close my Alternator is to the chassis rail. I have 10mm ish of prop movement space. I can angle the engine over slightly but then the starter will be close to touching on the bottom rail.

[img][/img]

I don't see any problem cutting the corner of the fan blades parallel to the top rail.
The rest of the bend will take the load of each blade with plenty of margin..
The only difference you may notice after the cut -I think, will be noise.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 1/6/20 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs

[img][/img]

I am tinkering on was to install my alternator and am curious to see how you sorted this.
Thnks for your time and comments.
Angel Acevedo

r1_pete

posted on 1/6/20 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Can you use a shorter belt and pull the alternator closer to the engine??

If not, I'd get the prop shortened.

starterman

posted on 1/6/20 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Undo the 3 through bolts and spin the front bracket 120 degrees and you will change the hand of the alternator and then you might be able to adjust it closer to the engine.
starterman

posted on 1/6/20 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
If push comes to shove let me know and I'll send you up a smaller fan. Don't cut the blades, it will only run out of true and vibrate more than a premier league rabbit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.