Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: G27 misfire
rusty nuts

posted on 1/2/17 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
The only way your going to know for sure if the coil pack is the problem is to change it.
perksy

posted on 1/2/17 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
Changing the coil is going to be the last report as it is so much work to do!

Are coils really that un-reliable? I can imagine in the engine bay where it gets warm I can imagine it not lasting long, however mine is under the dash board, only sen 16k miles over 16 years and by the looks of it has been garaged!

Typical symptom of a faulty coil is it 'breaking down' under load when the engine is hot

If your coil is under the dash, How long are your leads ? are they standard lengths or ones that have been custom made ?
Also are they routed ok ?

02GF74

posted on 1/2/17 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Typical symptom of a faulty coil is it 'breaking down' under load when the engine is hot

The alternative view is the coil breaks down when it becomes hot - which may take a little while thus coinciding with the engine being hot too The coil dissipates a fair amount of heat and will get hot enough so you cannot hold it in your hand.

So definitely worth swapping it out for a good one.

incidentally why isn't the coil in its usual place in the engine bay? would make life a lot easier.

[Edited on 1/2/17 by 02GF74]

perksy

posted on 1/2/17 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I meant, Honest

Can't remember the last time I saw a coil buried under a dashboard though, Love to know why it was put there in the first place ?

AlexXtreme

posted on 1/2/17 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
the leads were part custom.. the spark plug end was supplied fitted and i made up the other end my self under the dash. They route through a hole in the dash which I sealed with silicon to stop the rubbing / getting damaged. It was a long job and when I had finished - no difference.
The only reason I can think of that the coil is under the dash is that the engine is mounted further back that std with which left little room to mount the coil other than under the carbs which would give an even longer route for the leads and keeping out of the eng compt would keep it cool.
Will have a think about changing the coil.. :-(.

02GF74

posted on 2/2/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
ok. my last comments on this.
Basically I suggest you get the spanners, screwdriver and drill out and relocate the ignition module to the engine bay where it belongs. I find it hard to believe there is no room in the engine bay and having 15 kV zapping about in the occupants' compartment is not the best idea . If necessary, relocate the battery into the passenger footwell to make space, unless already done. I don't believe there will be any issue with temperature, after all, isn't the engine bay the place where car manufacturers put the engine's ignition gubbins?!?!?!? It should make it more accessible so will be easier for you and the AA man to work on.

You may find that you can use off the shelf ready made spark plugs - this will rule out any problems with the custom made ones - are you 100% sure they are fully working? Furthermore they will not need to pass through any bulkhead hole - I assume they are bunched together to pass through one hole (again photos of your set up would really help) - which is not great - you do not want ignition leads to closely run parallel to each other.

I am more than happy to be corrected here but I do not believe your problem is due to carbs being affected by engine heat. The carbs flow cold air, pass cold fuel, not to mention the latent heat of evaporation as the petrol is atomised so are kept cool. I need to check but am pretty sure there should be an insulator between the manifold and the carbs - is there one? And petrol resistant o-rings are fitted correctly so there are no air leaks?

So my recommendation is to spend a bit of time and money on replacing the coil pack, fitting pukka leads, relocating the coil pack, cleaning out the carb jets, check the sensor for the ignition is working correctly, check electrical connections for the ignition before spending oodles of cash at the tuning place, that should be the last resort if the problem is not resolved.

Good luck and report back on the cause of the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
the leads were part custom.. the spark plug end was supplied fitted and i made up the other end my self under the dash. They route through a hole in the dash which I sealed with silicon to stop the rubbing / getting damaged. It was a long job and when I had finished - no difference.
The only reason I can think of that the coil is under the dash is that the engine is mounted further back that std with which left little room to mount the coil other than under the carbs which would give an even longer route for the leads and keeping out of the eng compt would keep it cool.
Will have a think about changing the coil.. :-(.

sdh2903

posted on 2/2/17 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly as Mr 02GF74 says Imo.

ford coils are not known for being bullet proof and the whole custom plug lead situation sets alarm bells ringing. In my humble experience misfires are 90%+ plugs, lead or coil related. Usually the last one I end up changing....

AlexXtreme

posted on 3/2/17 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly thanks for your helpfully suggestions.
I have brought a new coil and will tackle changing it as a first option and see if it makes any difference... if no difference will re-locate.

Agreed having the leads going through the bulkhead is not ideal however as the pic below shows, there is not much room... don't want to position around the exhaust side as the whole area gets pretty warm - previous owner clad the shell in this area with insulation due to heat issues. On the other side, the coil would have to go under the carbs which would require extra long leads...

max gap around the back of the engine is not much!

https://goo.gl/photos/D3QwCxwyJtk4hq21A

perksy

posted on 3/2/17 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair it does look a bit tight

Difficult to see in the photo, but if you made a bracket up to suit could you not mount the coil between the carbs and the bulkhead ?

Just my 2p but i'm not a great fan of 'homemade' plug leads so if you can alter things so that you can use standard ones it would be more reliable in the future

rusty nuts

posted on 3/2/17 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
If your HT leads use a screw on fitting at the coil end they could well be your problem as could badly crimped fittings.
AlexXtreme

posted on 3/2/17 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
the thing is that I when I changed the leads it made no difference so so not think it is the leads.

there is not more than 30 mm gap between the carbs, the rod for the bonnet release and the bulkhead... I can not get my hand or feel the hole where the leads go through the bulkhead and definitely no room for a coil.

AlexXtreme

posted on 4/2/17 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
it was not a screw fitting at the coil - I had to crimp them on.
Alex

02GF74

posted on 2/3/17 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
.... one month on, what's the story now?

AlexXtreme

posted on 3/3/17 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
right ... meant to give an update but no time.

- brought new Weber distributor
- looked at moving it but this would been loom extension and the mounting bolts for the bracket were not accessible without moving the engine.. in the end it was easier to work on it under the dash - bloody horrible
- as I could not take the bracket off the b'head I had to take the dist. off the bracket... this took a complete weekend for 4 bolts after buying new short stubby ratchet and flexible drive new LED inspection light (the best thing I have brought for years!). Still could only either look or feel and not do both at the same time.
- the last bolt took approx 3 hours with lots of swearing.
- anyway it is replaced and sealed the leads with silicone where they went through the b'head to minimise the chance of chaffing.

what i did notice straight away was the car started much easier than previously - I guess much better spark so it looks as though distributor was on the way - thanks everyone for this advice.

Car runs better in general although still lumpyish. I think I need to run it at higher ticker (1000 rpm) as when for an example radiator fan cuts in the load almost stalls the engine. Something still not 100% right so as this would be the second time I have had to raise this... but much happier than before.

I think I will get the carbs looked at again as something is not quite right there... does anyone know a small garage who knows their carbs in Southampton. The guy I know is in New Milton which is quite a pain for me.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.