Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How tidy does the dash wiring need to be?
birdii

posted on 6/10/17 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
How tidy does the dash wiring need to be?

Hi,
I'm in the stages of having a final tidy up under the dash and am unsure of how far to go.

Does every bit of wire under the dash need to be sleeved or is it reasonable to have some unprotected cable?

I went a bit crazy with a hazard circuit an am scratching my head at how to make it neat.

I have other bits of loom under there which i planned to mostly cover in the split conduit type material but to cover every bit of exposed cable is going to look a dogs dinner.

be interested to see other examples that have gone through IVA ok.

cheers

[img] Dash Wiring
Dash Wiring
[/img]

nick205

posted on 6/10/17 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Some years ago so SVA not IVA, but my under scuttle wiring was certainly not all sleeved. I made sure it was well enough supported - i.e. no wires hanging down. It passed fine - TBH the SVA man didn't really take that much interest in even looking at it - the rest of the car was well presented, clean and shiny. In other words make sure the wiring is safe and not going to get snagged by feet etc.
StrikerChris

posted on 6/10/17 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well mine wasn't exactly neat,but it keeps my knees warm!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/10/17 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
My SVA inspector had a really good look - hysterical watching a 6' 3" inspector trying to get his head under the dash!

My take on this was that everything should be firmly attached so that the wires can't rub against anything and cause a short-circuit (and possible fire), and that live connections are properly insulated for much the same reason.

I worked on the principle that the neater it looks the less likely that the tester will take a close look. He may take a really good look at a bird's-nest...

LBMEFM

posted on 6/10/17 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by the inspector that all wiring should be to the standard of production cars, it was one of the reasons for my first failed attempt.
pekwah1

posted on 6/10/17 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
@strikercheis - I used to have that same steering wheel!
myke pocock

posted on 6/10/17 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I find that spiral wrap can be very useful for neatening up wiring and the advantage I think over, say loom tape, is that it is easy to remove for additions, adjustments etc.
coyoteboy

posted on 6/10/17 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Some people make these things a work of art...

http://images.boats.com/resize/wp/48/files/Wiring_02.jpg

StrikerChris

posted on 7/10/17 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
@strikercheis - I used to have that same steering wheel!

Same one was used on a mates David brown for years collecting hay!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
birdii

posted on 7/10/17 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input everyone.
I've done some work on it today and have mostly covered the wires with split conduit. I think once I have the scuttle in place and can get everything attached properly it will look ok.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

02GF74

posted on 8/10/17 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don't have a mindset that the wiring is done just to keep the inspector off your back, a neatly wired dash is much easier to work on should some electrical part stop working.

Search for my dashboard wiring tidy up, which was done post SVA.

birdii

posted on 9/10/17 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
The savage switches are difficult to wire neatly but ive seen that you can get a PCB socket, might get some of these as that would be neater than using the little spades, just solder the wires direct to the PCB socket:

PCB Socket

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.