Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rewire
gingerprince

posted on 7/10/17 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Rewire

Hi

I'm thinking of a rewire of my MK over the winter. Never been happy with the wiring since I bought it, the builder clearly wasn't an electrics man. Wires go under insulation tape and emerge a different colour. Wires go to the other end of the car to a loom connector, which is just jumped and sent back to the other end of the car. The coils and other bits are wired with 2 core lamp mains cable. There's cheap b&q connectors everywhere. There's in line blade fuses all over the place. It's just a nightmare to fault trace.

So, I intend to at least tackle the worst bits but more if it goes well. Going to get new wire, proper ratchet crimper, sealed crimp connectors etc and a new fuse box to pull it all together.

Couple of questions for those in the know:

* I could get rolls of lots of different colours to match the existing loom but that could get expensive. I have seen a rewiring pdf somewhere which suggested just using black wires throughout and then using coloured tags either end such as these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222640391808. Is this a good or bad practice in real terms? It reminds me of 1980s TVR using one colour wire, but if tags are solid is this OK? I intend to Visio diagram the whole thing as I go.

* Given the relatively small amount of wires in these cars, is it worthwhile using multiple wire gauges or just use the same gauge even if it means signal wires etc are over specced? Apart from main fuse box feeds and grounds of course.

* Any other general tips?

Thanks.

BigMac

posted on 7/10/17 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I did this on my Westfield a few years back, provided you're comfortable with electronics (which the posts suggests you are) it's not a difficult task.

I tried the idea of using standard wire and then tagging at both ends, but I only tried it on the front end part of the loom. Great idea, but when you need to splice into a cable later on down the line, unless you've labelled it every 6-12 inches, you're really not going to know which is which. This makes it a pain as you'll have to strip the covering off the loom and then trace the individual wire. Not a no go, but if you do, perhaps think about labelling the wires up at specific intervals where you 'may' want to splice into some day.

As for using the same gauge of wire, I don't see that being a problem either, but as you say, you'll have to run it at the size of the largest required diameter, so nothing is under-specced.

One thing I will say, is just keep an eye on costs- if you go down the route of buying decent connectors, good quality cable management and all the associated gubbins, it gets expensive pretty quickly... In some cases, it 'may' work out cheaper to have someone make a custom loom.

Either way, good luck and enjoy!

[Edited on 7/10/17 by BigMac]

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/10/17 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
A friend works on forklifts, most of which use all black wires. He reckons it is a nightmare as the letters/numbers wear off. May not be such an issue for you, but.....

As to wire gauge, lots of stuff like sensors, switches for relays etc only carry a very small current. So why use something big enough for a headlight? So I think you may be better off with a minimum of 2 cable sizes, 17A and 3-5A?

The most successful home looms I have seen have been carefully set out on boards to get lengths correct.
Re crimps, do not use the blue/red sleeved type of terminals. Get the correct OEM uninsulated type (insulation boots available, or use heatshrink), and the correct crimpers to match. They are different, not by much but makes a big difference.

JC

posted on 7/10/17 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 205GTI that had all black wire but the printed labelling had rubbed off - nightmare.

However, on my car what I have been doing is using combinations of shrink wrap at the end of each cable to code them - they are all black.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 7/10/17 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
As an electrical engineer I would recommend leaving as is if it is working ok and work on producing a schematic for the wiring so if a fault develops it can be traced. This may involve adding wire markers (we call them idents). If you use decent idents they should be impervious to rubbing off or oil/solvent damage.

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

hearbear

posted on 7/10/17 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
As Craig said if it isn't giving you a problem then leave well alone, but if you aren't happy with it and want to replace it, the wire numbers are what we used for many years and they were good as after a bit the colours were enough you didn't look at the numbers. Make a very good diagram so you can reference back yourself and also put the numbers at any point where a wire may leave the main loom giving you a chance of identifying the wire without stripping a loom down to see where it goes to just to find a number. Just be very methodical and use the old loom as a reference. You could also buy a length of multi core numbered cable for example 40 core and this gives you a lot of fully numbered along its full length cables Cables

[Edited on 7/10/17 by hearbear]

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

rodgling

posted on 8/10/17 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of good ideas about constructing a good quality wiring harness here, although some of the tools and techniques discussed do require a fairly unrealistic budget:

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

I've used quite a bit of spec55 for the wires on my car, it's good stuff, very skinny compared to normal wiring and very tough. Also easy to pull through because it's teflon. A label maker which prints onto heat-shrink would also be a must-have if I was doing this.

ste

posted on 8/10/17 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've made quite a few looms and recently done a rally car from scratch.

i highly recommend http://polevolt.co.uk/

I bought all the cable my the metre and used british standard colours throughout.

Unless you are making more than 20 looms in one go, there's no economics in buying cable by the roll.

You can simplify it even more using one of simtek's bodylogic control modules and get rid of all your relays and nearly all fuses.

craigdiver

posted on 8/10/17 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steI bought all the cable my the metre and used british standard colours throughout.

I take it there is no requirement to follow any wire colouring standards for the SVA?. I have dismantled the BMW donor loom and used random, but unique, colours for each circuit.

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

02GF74

posted on 8/10/17 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
How much time and money do you want to spend?

How long have you owned the car and in that time how many electrical problems have you had?

How much does the hashed loom bother you?

You ll need almost a full strip down to rewire properly, if that is what you intend doing, then rewiring makes sense.

Buy correct gauge wire, no need to pay more and excess weight.
Vwp sell wire. Many colours and gauges draw diagram as you go on, or buy mk or generic loom.

gingerprince

posted on 9/10/17 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, some good tips.

Had another look at it all this evening - whilst there's some bits I still do need to tidy up, I'm going to take the advice to not completely rip and replace what's basically working. I'm going to work through the whole loom methodically, document what I find and replace some bits I'm not happy with along the way. There's other bits that will stay as-is, but at least I'll know what's what for future reference. I'll end up replacing some connectors (getting rid of rusty blue things!) and re-routing/replacing a few wires where they're particularly horrible.

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.