Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Volvo 240 Electrics Question
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/11/17 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo 240 Electrics Question

Bought a Petrol 240 yesterday which turned out to have a charging problem. The charge light was behaving normally but the battery wasn't charging. I noticed that the alternator belt wasn't even nearly tight and not even turning the alternator suspected incorrect belt.

Long story short, the recovery guy hooked up the jump pack to the battery the wrong way round and let the smoke out of the alternator. The alternator is in being fixed today/tomorrow. I have the correct belt too now.

My question is am I likely to have damaged anything else by hooking the charge pack up wrong??

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

joneh

posted on 1/11/17 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect some sort of fuse or diode protection against this? I would expect a blown fuse but that's about it. Does it start?

Someone familiar with the car will hopefully be along shortly.

adithorp

posted on 1/11/17 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
It might have spiked any ECUs. It you'll only know when you try it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/11/17 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have the alternator back yet, I'll check the fuses though and give it another whirl tomorrow.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

rusty nuts

posted on 1/11/17 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Been a while since I worked on a 240 but from memory I think most had non electronic ignition? If so there is no ignition module ECU etc to worry about unless it's an injection model so it's likely to be just the alternator? Hope I'm right . Didn't the 240 have two fan belts?
02GF74

posted on 1/11/17 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Long story short, the recovery guy hooked up the jump pack to the battery the wrong way round ?

Htf can that happen? Jump start surrely's the most basic skill for a recovery guy?!!??? Mistakes happen but there is no excuse for this.

Pretty sure I had the aa ask me to give permission to connect, presumably to move responsibility from them.

Lamps and relays should survive but can't say the same for electronic components eg radio, ecu., absolutely... You won't know until you try it.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/11/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
No permissions were sought when he hooked the pack. I noticed what he did even it pitch black dark.

It has two belts for the alternator/fan.

It's an injection model.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

rusty nuts

posted on 1/11/17 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth fully charging the battery before trying to star To? If the ignition wasn't turned on when he connected the leads you might be lucky. From memory the 240
has Bosche K jetronic injection which doesn't use electronics . Keep your fingers crossed.

perksy

posted on 1/11/17 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you've been lucky it'll be just the Alternator
nick205

posted on 2/11/17 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Might be worth fully charging the battery before trying to star To? If the ignition wasn't turned on when he connected the leads you might be lucky. From memory the 240
has Bosche K jetronic injection which doesn't use electronics . Keep your fingers crossed.

My thoughts...the Volvo 240 is a relatively old model now isn't it? Probably less electronically endowed than many more modern vehicles so you may be OK. I'd charge the battery, fit the correct belt and give it a whirl.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/11/17 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
total blast form the past there...little doubt there is nothing else apart from the alternator in that car that could have been damaged tbh far too old to be sensitive

one of the few old cars I'd feel safe in these days, have to say I wouldn't mind one myself, especially an estate

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 2/11/17 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Saw one recently in Winchester.

Slammed to the floor, raucus exhaust pipe, topped off with a tailgate sticker "Need for Swede".

Made me chuckle all the way home.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/11/17 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted, re furbished alternator back on with correct belts.
Everything works, got charging voltage at the battery too.

Cheers Liam Mc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.