Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 Wire Compatible Smiths/Caerbont Temp Sender
ChrisJ15

posted on 23/9/18 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
2 Wire Compatible Smiths/Caerbont Temp Sender

Last weekend went out for longest run in J15 since building it. Went to watch Historic racing in Angouleme in France, really great trip. Very long way in a kit car!
Only had a couple of minor problems with car. It must have been charging but on a few occasions the starter wouldnt turn the motor over. It only seemed to happen when hot. My guess is the starter motor doesnt like beeing too hot.
Main problem was temp gauge. On the way back decided to show over 120 Degrees. The motor clearly wasnt that hot so suspect sender or gauge. Gauges are Caerbont (Smiths) and the single wire sender was a bit of a problem as I couldnt earth it very well so may have been the problem.
I'd like to replace it with a compatible sender with two wires to elimnate that as the problem.
Does anyone know of such a beast. My part number is TT3001-8N which I think is the 1/8 NPT.

gremlin1234

posted on 23/9/18 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
the usual reason for senders not earthing well is: people using ptfe tape round the treads, also check engine earth straps.
bi22le

posted on 23/9/18 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, what make you think it is not earthed very well? What resistance value does the body of the sensor to engine give?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ChrisJ15

posted on 24/9/18 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Its not earthed well because it is mounted into the plastic housing at the end of a Duratec cylinder head.
I had to screw it onto on of the electrical connectors thats like a washer (for want of a better description!).
i cant get an accurate resistance reading but putting the meter onto continuity proves that it is the problem.
A two wire sender is whats required.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.