Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring Questions
Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/10/18 at 04:17 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring Questions

Well Now back on the shop.
Tired of postergating welding some bits still outstanding, I decided to work on the electrical system.
I will be mating a Summit Racing Harness with a Daewoo Matiz (Chevrolet Matiz in Mexico) Column, an Acewell dash to a Megasquirt in turn mated to a Standard Ford Mustang Engine Harness.

I Have studied as much relevant posts from the beginning of LB but I still have some questions.
- I have a Relay Board that I bought together with the MS but upon reading, I may not use it, Right now I am waiting on some relays to make my own relay arrangement and everything else on the MS I´ll connect with Terminal Strips. There are some relay that I will need to wire anyway.
Question is: Do you think leaving off the MS Relay Board is a good Idea?
If So I would have it surplus.

- I don´t have to comply with IVA or anything like that, but want to have a sensible amount of tell tales.
I bought an Acewell 2803 about 6 or 7 years ago from Russbost back when I didn´t have a clue about what I was doing. So I´am pretty much stuck with what I´ve got.
Question is: I don’t have a Parking Brake Light tell tale; Is it a good idea to use the Hazards Warning light for Hazards (Blinking) and Parking Brake Light (Steady) Tell Tales)
If both activated, I´d like to have Hazards to show instead of Steady.
Another option could be to use the Neutral tell Tale (N Tell) Tale on the Acewell Unit. My gearbox doesn´t have a Neutral Switch so the Tell Tale wouldn´t be used.

And even another option to have an arrangement that lights both turn signal tell tales as hazards Indication and the Hazards Tell Tale as Parking brake Warning Light.

My Gearbox has the sender still on, but during storage and fitting I have broken the connector, the pins are still attached and apparently they are ok. On the other side, the Acewell Unit comes with its speed sensor and looks pretty straightforward to install.
-Question is, Which would be preferable?

Now on Megasquirt, Back when I bought the Megasquirt, It came with an SC 37 Plug and cable to assemble the Cable. I was thinking of buying an already assembled cable and cutting /grafting into my harness.
Problem is that cables in readymade cable are a bit smaller than the ones provided with MS Unit.
(Probably I know the answer to m y following question)
- Is this a good Idea? Or should I assemble the cable with wires supplied?

Thanks in advance for reading and any assisiance provided.
Angel Acevedo

Summit Loom Manual: https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-890020.pdf
Acewell Wiring Manual: http://www.acewell-meter.co.uk/manuals/ACE-2853-A-Wiring.pdf
Acewell Users Manual: http://www.acewell-meter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ACE-27-28XX-ES-V3.0-manual.pdf

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 24/10/18 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC the 2803 (been out of production for ages!) has just 4 lights, main beam, 2 x indicators & Neutral, are you sure you mean 2803, the wiring diagram you have listed is for the 2853 which is a much more recent unit & has more tell tales. Personally I wouldn't want to be without an oil warning light

Why not use the N light as a handbrake warning, as long as you know that's what it is it would be fine, the N light is looking for a earth path so can be connected straight to the handbrake switch. The indicator warnings were intended to do both indicators & hazards & can simply be connected in parallel with indicator bulbs, if flashing on L or R just the relevant tell tale would show & with hazards both would flash along with the indicators

Can't really help with much of the rest re the relays & so on, all I would say is that with regard to wiring the simpler you can keep things the better, it is easy to get sidetracked & follow a particular manufacturers way of doing something only to find it is vastly more complicated than necessary

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/10/18 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
IIRC the 2803 (been out of production for ages!) has just 4 lights, main beam, 2 x indicators & Neutral, are you sure you mean 2803, the wiring diagram you have listed is for the 2853 which is a much more recent unit & has more tell tales. Personally I wouldn't want to be without an oil warning light

It is definitelly a 2803 Unit As it is marked on the face of the unit and on the box is marked ACE-2803AB/MX if that makes a difference.
On the face it has Turn Signals, High Beam, Hazards, Neutral and Oil Light Tell Tales (I Hope they are wired in as the wiring in the unit matches the diagram); the only difference I see is that the 2503 does not have fuel indication which I have on a separate gauge.

quote:
Why not use the N light as a handbrake warning, as long as you know that's what it is it would be fine, the N light is looking for a earth path so can be connected straight to the handbrake switch. The indicator warnings were intended to do both indicators & hazards & can simply be connected in parallel with indicator bulbs, if flashing on L or R just the relevant tell tale would show & with hazards both would flash along with the indicators

Most likely I´ll be using N for Handbrake, as that is the path of least resistance (Wiring wise)
It is going to take a while to get to the point where I know if the Hazards Led is Wired in as it should and I will be able to use it.
If it works, Then that makes things easier for me.

quote:
Can't really help with much of the rest re the relays & so on, all I would say is that with regard to wiring the simpler you can keep things the better, it is easy to get sidetracked & follow a particular manufacturers way of doing something only to find it is vastly more complicated than necessary

With the relays, I am forced to use them, as Switchgear wires are extremely thin, so I don´t think they can handle more than a couple of amps.
And if I´m having relays additional to the Megasquirt ones, I may as well arrange them all in one place.

Thanks Russbost.
Best regards
AA

Keep them coming.

[Edited on 10/24/2018 by Angel Acevedo]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 24/10/18 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Acewell never made anything with lights on the unit that weren't actually wired up, so if the lights are there, they will definitely work, just a Q of if they are looking for a feed or an earth - I think the diagram for the 2853 should be accurate in terms of wiring colours for the 2803, they have always tended to stick to the same colours throughout the different units

I think you may have a slight misunderstanding of how the lights work from your comment about hazards, blinking & handbrake, steady.

With any of the lights if you connect a feed & earth to the relevant wires they will simply be on, when disconnected they will be off, so there is nothing in the unit that makes a flashing light, that is done by the incoming wire, hence, hazards or indicators will flash, handbrake (whichever light you connect it to, but remember that the handbrake switch will normally switch to earth unless you specifically connect it some other way)

If switchgear wires are less than around 1mm I would definitely connect using relays as although the wiring would probably handle around 6A, I doubt the switches would if wiring is that fine

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/10/18 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Acewell never made anything with lights on the unit that weren't actually wired up, so if the lights are there, they will definitely work, just a Q of if they are looking for a feed or an earth - I think the diagram for the 2853 should be accurate in terms of wiring colours for the 2803, they have always tended to stick to the same colours throughout the different units

The lights definitely are there. I haven´t checked for accuracy of wiring Vs. Unit but expect to be OK.

quote:
I think you may have a slight misunderstanding of how the lights work from your comment about hazards, blinking & handbrake, steady.

No misunderstanding, But upon reading "almost" every single thread on hazards/Turn indicators lighting, I´m quite sure anything can be done -although not necessarily easily.

quote:

With any of the lights if you connect a feed & earth to the relevant wires they will simply be on, when disconnected they will be off, so there is nothing in the unit that makes a flashing light, that is done by the incoming wire, hence, hazards or indicators will flash, handbrake (whichever light you connect it to, but remember that the handbrake switch will normally switch to earth unless you specifically connect it some other way)

Same answer apply, my question was if it was a good idea compared to the other options.

quote:

If switchgear wires are less than around 1mm I would definitely connect using relays as although the wiring would probably handle around 6A, I doubt the switches would if wiring is that fine

And yes, they are, they are -form memory, as thick as the wires coming out of the Acewell Unit.

Thanks again for your time.
AA

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.