Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra stalks and relay
will_08

posted on 4/2/19 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra stalks and relay

Evening

Been doing some wiring on my Haynes, I've a set of Sierra stalks (early I think from a B reg) I'm.using the loom too.

My question is the wiring diagrams I'm using, only really show a dip beam relay (says if fitted) can't remember if there was one, I've long since removed the fuse/relay box. But when I search old posts, people seem to fit quite a few relays. Is there any real need? All my lights except the full, dipped and side are LED. Surely the stalks will switch the load fine.

So I'm thinking I just need relays for switching the high horn current and indicator flashing?

Any advice would be appreciated :-)

Cheers Will

rusty nuts

posted on 4/2/19 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware there are at least two types of Sierra light switches if not more. Find the part number of yours and do a search on here for a wiring diagram . Personally I would fit relays to take the load off the switch and use a change over relay for dip/main beams
Myke 2463

posted on 5/2/19 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Years 82 to 85 no relays 85 to 87 0n same drg dip only.......... next drg 87 on shows dip and maim have relays. From haynes manual 0903.
As Rusty said there were several different switches so could be more variations in wiring not shown in manual

Be Lucky Mike.

nick205

posted on 5/2/19 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I used Sierra stalks from a G reg donor on my MK Indy. I also fitted relays.

Relays aren't expensive and being designed to switch loads it takes any load switching effort off the stalks.

IMHO fit the relays now while you're wiring the car.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 5/2/19 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
For High and Low beam, you need only one 5 Pin relay.
When you switch lights on, the relay is on State 1 that is, low beams are conected, when you select High beam, the relay is activated and switches to State 2.
Thats what IŽll be doing.
I am using Daewoo Matiz switchgear with a Summit racing wiring loom. I bought the relays separate from both.
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will_08

posted on 6/2/19 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Point duly noted, I shall fit relays

Thanks for the advice guys

Angel Acevedo

posted on 12/2/19 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
For High and Low beam, you need only one 5 Pin relay.
When you switch lights on, the relay is on State 1 that is, low beams are conected, when you select High beam, the relay is activated and switches to State 2.
Thats what IŽll be doing.
I am using Daewoo Matiz switchgear with a Summit racing wiring loom. I bought the relays separate from both.
HTH

Due to the size of wires coming out of the switch, I canŽt do this.
Apparently IŽll need to use relays.
Also, My loom has only one feed for both dipped and main beams, which I donŽt like it, therefore I may use a regular relay to switch lights on and one DPDT relay to do the switching...
These connected to the Main Lights Fuse and IŽll use another Fuse to feed the Low beams.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.