Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiper switch - get round?????
JAG

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Wiper switch - get round?????

Is there one??

What have you done??

I am aware that there is a special switch available from SVC but it's £20 Not really in the spirit of Locost.

Is there a get-around that uses an ordinary switch or has everyone bitten the bullet and located one of these special switches (perhaps for less than the SVC price?)

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Peteff

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Single speed wipers?

Do you need two speeds? Unless you have to use the car you're going to avoid the rain if possible anyway.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JAG

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I only need one speed but I understood that the 'special' bit is related to the park circuit.

When in the 'off' position the live feed is connected to the 'park' circuit.

Justin

locoboy

posted on 31/1/05 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Jag,

Is auto park an SVA requirement?

I just have mine wired to the slow speed with an on / off rocker switch,

ok it means you can switch them off and they remain halfway across the windscreen but its no hardship to turn it off at the end of its sweep.

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/05 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
Is auto park an SVA requirement?

I believe it is...

DJ

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
The manual says....

Each wiper must have one or more sweep frequencies. In either case, one frequency must be at least 45 cycles/min (a cycle is the forward and return movement of the wiper). The engine may be running during this test.

Reasons for failure.

Frequency not meeting 45 cycles/min on at least one setting. Not continuing to operate automatically when switched on. Not returning automatically to a rest position which is at or beyond the outer edge of the swept area. Not being capable of being lifted from the windscreen.

There are additional notes for washer system.

monkey69

posted on 31/1/05 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
How about this for a work-around - don't put your windscreen on for SVA!

No windscreen means no wipers, demister and no washer required. Hence, they will not be tested.

timf

posted on 31/1/05 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
old mini in a scrap yard
mini wiper switch £1.50 or in the pocket if your dishonest

Peteff

posted on 31/1/05 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
The self park is a limit in the gearbox usually, nothing to do with the switch. It locates in a notch on the gearwheel so it stays live till it reaches the park spot. Look at the wiper section on the SVC website. http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/
There's an exploded diagram showing it in detail.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JAG

posted on 31/1/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Peteff, from the SVC website;

quote:

It is important that you use a correct wiper 2-speed switch. The reason for this is that when the switch is in the off position with the ignition switched on there is one connection which becomes live. This operates the parking position. If you use a non-live switch then the wipers would stop whenever the switch was switched off.

Special switch mate

Justin

Spyderman

posted on 31/1/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
A special switch is not required!

There is a live feed to the wiper motor from the ignition circuit so that whenever the wiper switch is flicked (with ignition on) the wipers continue to operate until the end of the sweep!
This is separate to the live feed via the switch. All the switch does is to activate the wiper motor passed the parked position. If switch is left on it just ensures that wiper motor continues to operate.

As stated earlier the parking of the wipers is acheived by a cam on the motor working a microswitch which breaks the circuit when in a certain position.

The switch has no way of knowing where the wipers are on their sweep so is nothing special!

Terry

Spyderman

Peteff

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
My thoughts were

why does the feed to the park mechanism have to come from the switch? It is a switch.

yours, Pete

JAG

posted on 1/2/05 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hhmmmm - my understanding is/was that when in the 'off' position the live feed should be connected to the park circuit.

When in the 'first speed' position the live feed should be disconnected from the 'park' circuit and then connected to the 'first speed' circuit.

When turned 'off' the live feed returns to the 'park' circuit and drives the motor until the internal cam mechanism cuts the live feed.

Justin

JAG

posted on 7/2/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Right, I got this working over the weekend so would like to correct my previously mis-informed self.

The park wire (from motor to switch) becomes live during the operation of park - thanks to the ignition live feed running to the motor (not switched) and the gubbins inside the wiper motor.

When the wiper switch is in the 'off' position the park wire (brown with green tracer on my loom) must be connected to the wiper motor feed.

The cam inside the motor casing will cut-off the live connection (down the park wire) when the motor reaches its parked wiper position.

My wipers now park

[Edited on 7/2/05 by JAG]

Justin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.