Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorcycle batteries to suit X/Flow
Kelvin

posted on 16/1/03 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Motorcycle batteries to suit X/Flow

Hi All,

Has anyone used a motorcycle battery for a standard 1600 X/Flow lump?

What sort of type, prices etc are you using?

Cheers,

Kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 16/1/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I got a small Nissan fit battery. It's about 2/3 size of normal small car battery. I paid £20 at local Cosco warehouse. I suspect a bike battery may struggle with a X/Flow if cold and probably more than £20. Worth taking a trip to local battery suppliers and see what they have to offer. Let me know if you want size etc.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/1/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
as zetec says, the starting with a motorcycle battery might be a problem.

An average car battery is rated at 40 amps. An average alternator is rated at 80 or more amps. So, under normal runnign conditions, the battery dont do much - it helps when engine revs are low.

However, when a engine is started, you need a lot of amps - typically 250 - 400 or more. The size of the battery depends on its ability to supply this high current for a short time at the highest voltage possible.

Plus, the colder a battery is, the less current it can produce, and the less able the engine is to start cos its cold - a double whammy. Perhaps you dont wanna start your car in the cold.

However, if you dont choose a battery of sufficient starter current, you may not get the engine turning over to start. A motorcycle has a small starter motor - a crossflow dont!

I suggest you take a look in Halfords at their batteries. Look for the one thats from the original car and note its starting current - this will be listed as something like how many seconds it can maintain a voltage at a given current. Then look at all the other sizes they have and see how the rating varies.

Then take a look at a bike battery - its likely to be small!

I have a cologne v6 2.4 litre. I didnt have the room for the normal battery, so I bought a small battery from halfords for a smaller car - summat like 65% of the power. Starts nice and strongly but its still about 3 - 4 times bigger than a bike battery!

atb

steve

Viper

posted on 16/1/03 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Bike battery won't cut it.
If you want something small, the battery we use on our race car is the same size as an average bike battery and cranks a 4.5 V8 without any probs, bit more expensive than a standard car battery but gel filled so you can use it upside down if you want to...thats what i am using coz i can hide it away

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 16/1/03 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
where do you buy those from? and what sort of price are they?. From bitter experience most bike batteries are worse than shite and tend to last about 10 minutes i'd rather pay a bit more for a good one.

Al

Viper

posted on 16/1/03 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Most race suppliers should keep them (we get ours from the TVR factory) i know Demon Tweeks do this type of battery but they are known to be a tad overpriced on a lot of things..ours are around the £80 mark..

rayward

posted on 17/1/03 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
batttery for a suzuki sj410 jeep is physically small but has reasonable power, might be cheaper
Kelvin

posted on 17/1/03 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the excellent replies.

I shal be visiting Halfrauds (oh goody!) at the weekend.

kelvin

jollygreengiant

posted on 17/1/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the excellent replies.

I shal be visiting Halfrauds (oh goody!) at the weekend.

kelvin

Why not price up a bosch battery from some of the good motorfactors down your way. (halfords batteries look suspiciuosly similar [allegedly]). You might get a pleasant surprise. If they ask you if your trade just say yes I'm form locost-motors, down here for the week, and don't forget to ask for trade price. You still get a guarantee!

Enjoy.

Kelvin

posted on 17/1/03 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh, sneaky!!! I like it!!

Kelvin

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/1/03 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
btw

i am not saying BUY anything from Halfords.....

just take a good look at the batteries and their data books, then buy it best price from wherever. My local one has batteries in the open and you can put a tape measure to em. Some factors have em tucked away so you have no idea of what you are dealing with.

atb

steve

Jasper

posted on 17/1/03 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wadders - check out Red Top batteries from Rally Design amongst others, fully sealed racing batteries from around £60. Lightweight and used by a lot of BEC chaps as we only need the small one
scutter

posted on 17/1/03 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere jasper

Take care Dan.

P.S. how was San Fran?

Findlay234

posted on 22/1/03 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
what about a Mini battery??

cheers
fin

Jasper

posted on 22/1/03 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
What is it with you boys and planes!!!

As for the Mini battery I would be careful as you need one rated to the engine size.

And Dan, California was fantastic thanks, warm and sunny all the way down the coast, only good thing about coming back was my 'baby' in the garage.

scutter

posted on 22/1/03 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper, It's the only way to get through the day

Anyway there might be a war on so I'm off to the Falklands.

Take care Dan.

Jasper

posted on 23/1/03 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Good idea - get as far away as possible!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.