Author: Subject: Dip headlights wiring
Northy

posted on 13/4/03 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Dip headlights wiring

I've been wiring up the Avon today and have got everything working apart
from the dip headlights. It doesn't help that wires seem to go from one set
of switches on the column to the other side :-(

Can anyone can explain how the switches
work? Its something to do with the on switch (I'm using the one on the column) and the main beam switch on the other
side.

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 13/4/03 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the Sierra switchgear?.

If so are you using the Sierra connecting block with the corresponding wires? I can dig my diagram out and try to make sense of it if that's the case. I can scan a picture of it later and put it up for you if you want one.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

theconrodkid

posted on 13/4/03 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
acording to mr haynes fron light switch terminal 554? white with a black trace goes to dip switch term 56 then out with white (56a)or yellow(56b) for main and dip

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Peteff

posted on 13/4/03 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Switch wiring

This is some of my jottings from when I wired mine. It might help.

yours, Pete. Rescued attachment switch wiring.JPG
Rescued attachment switch wiring.JPG

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Peteff

posted on 13/4/03 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
That must be the one!

The wire from the lights and wiper switch must be the white with black trace mentioned by Conrad. What I noticed when wiring was that the relays to the lights were switched on the earth wires which seemed strange to me, but I figured it out eventually with the help of a continuity tester. Only strange thing I found was that my flasher button on top of the column lights all the dash lights as well as all six indicators, but I don't use it so it doesn't bother me.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

Northy

posted on 13/4/03 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas, I'm knackered so I'll have a look tomorrow night.

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 13/4/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Right, I had a look in the Haynes bible and it now makes a 'bit' more sense, but I'm still not sure.

All I am trying to do is close a relay for dip and main beam. Do the Sierra switches switch ground or live? Which pin is for ground / live?

I'll have a poke with the multimeter tommorrow night.

Thanks

Graham

Graham

Peteff

posted on 13/4/03 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
ground or earth

They switch the earth (ground) wires which are the brown/white and yellow/white to the relay earths. I could look up the diagrams and put some pin numbers on if it will help.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

Northy

posted on 14/4/03 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

If you could, I'll have a look tonight and see if I can suss it.

Thanks

Graham

Peteff

posted on 14/4/03 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
This is the later version.

I've found some more scribblings in the shed and put some of the terminal numbers on. They must be the ones I used in the end. I'll scan the page from the manual as well and put it in photo section.

yours, Pete Rescued attachment switchgear.JPG
Rescued attachment switchgear.JPG

yours, Pete

Peteff

posted on 14/4/03 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
OOps!

Sorry, forgot to resize that.

yours, Pete

paulf

posted on 14/4/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
The early switches that i used have no relay and switch live directly to the lights.I just put an ignition switched relay in series to switch off the headlamps with the ignition.The sidelights have there own seperate supply.
I think the MK2 sierras are the ones with neutral switched relays.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
They switch the earth (ground) wires which are the brown/white and yellow/white to the relay earths. I could look up the diagrams and put some pin numbers on if it will help.

yours, Pete.

Northy

posted on 14/4/03 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Got the lights sorted, but...

Thanks to you guys and Mr Haynes the headlights work as they should now. Thanks.

BUT, the fog lights playing up. It will come on with the dipped headlights, stay on if I flash main beam, but goes off when I push the stalk forward for constant main beam I take it this is not legal!

The problem is that the feed to the switch for the fog light comes from the dipped headlight feed, so I take it this goes off when constant main beam is on? What feed do other people use for the fog light?

Thanks

Graham

paulf

posted on 14/4/03 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mine works like that also and i think I have had everyday cars on which the foglights only work with dip beam.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
Thanks to you guys and Mr Haynes the headlights work as they should now. Thanks.

BUT, the fog lights playing up. It will come on with the dipped headlights, stay on if I flash main beam, but goes off when I push the stalk forward for constant main beam I take it this is not legal!

The problem is that the feed to the switch for the fog light comes from the dipped headlight feed, so I take it this goes off when constant main beam is on? What feed do other people use for the fog light?

Thanks

Northy

posted on 14/4/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
BUT, sometime you can see more in the fog with main beam on, even if its only the cats eyes and grass verge!

Graham

Peteff

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Take the power to the fogger switch from the wire after the switch to dip beam so when you go to main beam and the dip goes out the fogger goes out as well.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

Northy

posted on 15/4/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
But on my Fiat the fog light stays on when I put main beam on.

Graham

paulf

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
wasent there a thread about italian electrics somewhere else on the group?.The foglights on my rover go out on mainbeam and im sure fords do also, so it should be ok for SVA.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
But on my Fiat the fog light stays on when I put main beam on.

Peteff

posted on 16/4/03 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
If it stays on when main beam is on it will fail SVA and MOT. It's not me, it's the rules.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Then my 2.5 year old Toyota would fail...

DJ

Northy

posted on 16/4/03 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
And my Punto!

Oh well I'll leave it as it is.

Thanks

Graham

Northy

posted on 16/4/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked my mates Golf GTI (new style), and his rear fog stays on with main beam on, BUT his fronts go out with main beam on.

Are you sure this is an MOT failure?

Graham

Sheepy

posted on 17/4/03 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Fog lights

There is a relatively simple way of doing this. fit a relay so that when your dip lights are on it will trigger the relay and allow 12v to pas through the relay. you could then use this feed to power your fogs if the switch is used. it is a case of using the dip beam power to open the gate allowing power through to your fog light circuit. If the dip beam isn't on or main beam replaces the dip then the fogs lose there power and go out. Basic 12v relays will do the job nicely. Gaz
stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/4/03 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
The rules as I understand them is that the fog light must ONLY come on if the headlights are on.

I recon having it go off if the lights are on main beam is a no no. Is it it OK to be totalled from the rear by a truck in the fog just cos you have your main beam on thats pointing away from him anyway.....this would be a nonsense.

You can get the light to stay on by using a relay. When the power is on the the beams, the relay comes on. This also allows the fogs to come on only when the power is applied to the beams.

atb

steve

Spyderman

posted on 17/4/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am not advocating either way as right, but!
Way back in my college days the Construction and Use Regulations explained it as " The fog lights must be wired so that they can be used only in times of poor visability" The distances quoted as being poor visibility escape me.
"If the visability is such that main beam can be used then it is not necessary to use fog lights" therefore they should be wired so that the fog light goes off when main beam is used.
The same also applies to front fog lights. They should not be operable without the rear fog lights on.

A lot of cars these days are built that should contravene the construction and use reg's, but get away with it because that is how they were built.

Unless of course the reg's have changed since I read them.

Terry
ps this is my wording as I remember it and not verbatim.

[Edited on 17/4/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.