Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring loom
ceebmoj

posted on 14/4/03 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring loom

Hi what do you guys think about making your owne loom up compared to something like the Vicki green loom.
jonti

posted on 14/4/03 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Whether you can 'make your own' is pretty much dependant upon your electrical nows and skill. However, whatever you do DONT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED ON A VICKY GREEN LOOM.

I bought one thinking it would simplify the job and, although I'm very used to reading schematics, I found it, and the "comprehensive wall chart and instructions ???" more than a little confusing. I gave up and I'm doing it my way, it works and I understand it.

I'm just using the VG loom as a source of wire but £60 would have bought me a lot of wire !!!
RHE strike again !!

OFROK

Jasper

posted on 14/4/03 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Try Alan at Premier wiring, he supplies looms as well as all the bits needed to make them, and his prices seem good. He has a web site, find it thro Google.
jonti

posted on 14/4/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I wondered why I'd got this feeling of day jar view..look on page 4 of the electrics section. There's a long thread from earlier this year about the Lolocost loom and better alternatives. My words were almost exactly the same then.
Cheers
J.J

[Edited on 14/4/03 by jonti]

OFROK

Northy

posted on 14/4/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've just installed the VG loom, and its not THAT bad.

I've had to modify the it a little, but all part of the fun. Most problems came from the Sierra switches, not the loom.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddymcclements

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using the donor engine loom, and making the rest of it. The reason for retaining the engine loom is because it contains all the connectors for temp senders, injectors, ECU etc and should just plug back in to place. I will however clean and re-tape it so that it's clean and tidy.

I've run a length of trailer cable to the back of the car and wired in all the lights from that, and will do something similar at the front. I will keep the engine part of the donor fusebox (ECU relay, fuel pump stop relay and so on) and add a separate fusebox for supplying all the lighting circuits etc.

Cheers,

Eddy

jonti

posted on 15/4/03 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
Well I've just installed the VG loom, and its not THAT bad.

Sorry but for £60 I expect GOOD not "not THAT bad"

I'm not casting aspercions on yours which I'm sure you will have sorted but...Have you seen an out of box GOOD one ? If not come and look at my home made one it knocks spots of the RHE crap as supplied.

[Edited on 15/4/03 by jonti]

OFROK

auzziejim

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
well i have heard lots of good things about the Premier wiring loom so once i recieve my birthday money thats what it is being spent on! (as well as copious amounts of Guinness )

James

Northy

posted on 16/4/03 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Jonti,

So how much did it cost you to buy enough of every BS colour wire to make your loom?

When I said that bad, i was trying to defend it a little.

The only things I've changed are relays for the lights, and sodered a few wires together which RH said to connect with connectors. Not much really, an hours work?

I just want my car on the road asap, and prefered the £50 it cost me, to the £100 Tiger wanted.

Regards

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonti

posted on 16/4/03 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auzziejim
well i have heard lots of good things about the Premier wiring loom so once i recieve my birthday money thats what it is being spent on! (as well as copious amounts of Guinness )

James

Wise man

OFROK

jonti

posted on 16/4/03 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
So how much did it cost you to buy enough of every BS colour wire to make your loom?

Since when did I have to subscribe to BS ? As long as I understand it and it's the right gauge and fused correctly... wot the hell ?

Anyway, as I said, I'm using the wire..Nothing wrong with the wire cos RHE didn't make it

In fairness, I'm anti 'men in tights' for lots of other reasons and, if they'd served me well with other stuff I might be more tolerant....

The premier loom is good though, much better than the RHE one. I've seen one and if I hadn't already gone me own way I'd have bought one.

OFROK

macbrew

posted on 19/4/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Friend of mine nearly topped himself trying to get the VG loom working. Cost him lots of time to sort it out .... diagrams are not good.

Anybody got a current email / tel. number for premier, I emailed about 2 months ago to one I got off this forum but no reply ?

bob

posted on 20/4/03 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.premierwiring.co.uk

0800 0742789
Twin Trees Ind Est
Moor Lane
Westfield
Woking
SURREY
GU22 9RB

I'm picking up my loom tuesday so i'll give a report as soon as i've got to grips with it.

zetec

posted on 21/4/03 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a Premier Wiring loom and must say I cannot fault it. Do as the instructions say and you can't go wrong. The only thing I added was a relay so my ECU could switch the fuel pump and cooling fan on/off.
JAG

posted on 23/4/03 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
So which of the Premier looms did you buy?

There doesn't seem to be a 'Locost' loom mentioned on the website.

Has anyone tried the Stuart Taylor wiring loom? Is it any good?

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

bob

posted on 23/4/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I got he premier wiring loom based on the sierra column switches,it seems a good package with understandable instructions.

All the relay fittings are wired in and so is the fuse box,it just seems a case of crimping the column switch leads on and plug and play.(well i hope so anyhow)

it also comes with some convoluted tubing,spiral wrap,heat shrink,plenty of crimps and a crimping tool i'm sure i've missed someting as the bag is jammed full.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.