Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake on warning light
Chris Leonard

posted on 2/5/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Handbrake on warning light

Does anyone know if it is an SVA requirement to have a Handbrake on warning light - I dont think there is one in my MKII loom
David Jenkins

posted on 2/5/03 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
No, it isn't a requirement - you only need the "low brake fluid" warning light.

However, the handbrake switch is an excellent way of meeting the other SVA requirement, the ability to test the "low brake fluid" lamp. You simply wire the handbrake switch across the brake fluid reservoir switch (or the low-pressure switch, if that's what you're using).

The result is that in normal conditions you get a light when the handbrake is on (which tests the bulb), and if the light comes on when the handbrake's off, your fluid's low!

Premier Wiring do a simple little switch which is fairly easy to rig (I recall that it was a silly price for what it was, though).

David

Chris Leonard

posted on 2/5/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'm glad you replied on this as I was looking at the low level warning light last night. At the moment within the MKII loom I'm using I have a low level warning circuit: Three wires off the top of the master cylinder. If you press the button on the cap of the master cylinder a light comes on. (this light is just hanging out of the loom at the moment but I was going to just add it to the dash). So with this I presume I have a way of testing the bulb, However, the SVA states it must be able to be tested in the drivers position so I am not sure wether this will comply or not. Any ideas
David Jenkins

posted on 2/5/03 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
As you say, whatever you have must be usable from the driver's position.

The simplest solution is a "momentary make" push button on the dash - I think it must be labeled (not sure, would have to check). I'm certain that the warning light has to be labeled - I got one with the "brake drum" symbol printed on the lens.

cheers,

David

chrisg

posted on 2/5/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used a handbrake lever from a rover SD1, comes with a earth switch included.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/5/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
granadas also have such a switch - broke mine and need another!

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.