Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital Dashboard
Mk-Ninja

posted on 17/10/03 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Digital Dashboard

Since I havnt got my kit yet (3-4 weeks I hope).
Ive been looking for things to do before it arrives (and I dont fancy decorating the bathroom)

So I was thinking of the instruments for the dash, and wondered if anybody had produced their own digital dash. Im no expert and only dabeled with electronics, but since you can buy a push bike speedo for about £15 and digital displays arnt that expensive, I was hoping it not to be too difficult.
The only thing Ive seen as a comparison is from ETA but it costs £500 but does much more than I want.

Any help / thoughts would be apreciated

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

JoelP

posted on 17/10/03 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
how digital do you mean? as in a numeric read out of things, or just lights moving up and down?

numeric stuff would be harder to make and read, but a sequence of LEDs for the speedo and tacho etc would be easier. Just have the real guage in the back ground operating a sequence of contacts to light lights as the needles move.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ChrisW

posted on 17/10/03 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
There's been quite a bit of discussion but I don't think anyone has a finished unit yet. I've got as far as a PIC, and LCD graphical display and two R/C servos to use as rev counter and speedo.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 29/10/03 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
digi dash

I have a yam R1 BEC dash "under way" - pics on http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/locost_build.htm
It's based on my R1 build (e.g. peak power at 10000revs & gear display calculations) I could be pursuaded to help someone else put one together.....
BTW the "instant" rpm display is quite something - no lag AT ALL!
cheers
Bob
PS progress on dash - display PCB is done, logic design done & working in FPGA evaluation board, still needs control PCB to be designed/debugged

Viper

posted on 29/10/03 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.dakotadigital.com/

ok so not very locost but still comparable to a full set of guages from telematrix or the like.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 29/10/03 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bob

Have looked on your site, very impressed with the dash.
If you could put some details together of how to build it, I would welcome the chance to construct one for my ZX9R.

Gordon

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/10/03 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Bob, i'm very impressed too. Could it be made to work off a car engine too ? Not sure how the speedo is controlled on your unit ?

I'm interested too in details

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Bob C

posted on 30/10/03 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Gordon - you're not too far away, drop by and I can give you chapter & verse. I don't know details 'bout your engine but its possible you could use my spare display PCB. Building it's easy, making it work is the tricky bit...
BTW tacho works of ignition LT & speedo off a prop sensor (16 pulses/ prop rotation) Expects analog transducers for oil fuel & temp - all varying resistances to deck. Odo & trip by logic drive to external LCD electronic totalisers (100 pulses/mile)
cheers
Bob

Mk-Ninja

posted on 30/10/03 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Bob

Have sent U2U

Gordon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.