Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies, aged 87
will_08

posted on 9/4/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Rest in peace Mrs Thatcher

Was mining the future for Britain? what a joke.

God bless the Falklands, god bless Northern Ireland. No Surrender!

woodster

posted on 10/4/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
A great great leader and shame on those at the time in her party that stabbed her in the back ...... RIP MRS T
Jasper

posted on 10/4/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - RIP along with your best mate Augusto Pinochet

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

coozer

posted on 10/4/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
She called football suporters feral
She called miners the enemy within
Called the rest moaning minnies..

She destroyed communities, closed the mines, shipyards and if anyone remembers the 17% mortgage rate??

So, all this is no good to me as she came to power when I was 17..

Good riddance, I only wish it had been a long lingering painful end..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CNHSS1

posted on 10/4/13 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
my two penneth...

at 41 years old, I sort of remember John Cravens Newsround etc on about the miners strike, soup kitchens etc.

I have no political allegiance or interest and that's remarkably similar of my generation, and certainly those subsequent generations. The general concensus is all politicians are corrupt to some degree, and out for theoir own ends or just to get into power for another term, and are all rather similar in their policies irrespective of party. From what I understand prior to the thatcher years, Labour and Tory were actually different parties ;-)

im in the camp of a strong leader will invariably do more good than harm, but its naïve to expect ANY human to get everything right all the time.

it has to be said that under the Thatcher regime we prospered as a nation financially in the main, and we saw off Johnny Foreigners aggressive advance too.

Maybe the likes of Afganistan etc would have been different if we'd gone in tough like the Falklands and not spent a few years drawing increasing numbers of retreating lines in the sand...

the worlds full of Do-ers and talkers, currently we have the country inundated with the latter but not many of the former.

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

T66

posted on 10/4/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
The Thatcher government was also very involved in reducing HM forces numbers,, less men and machines across the services. The tough stance on the Falklands was a massive gamble, something which the highly trained poorly equipped servicemen of the 80s, dealt with in our usual Brit fashion.

It could of easily gone wrong, they didnt have enough ships to move guys south and were forced to requisition private ships.

They had virtually no means of extended aircraft operations, no RAF tankers, hardly any helicopters. The ground forces were poorly equipped for the cold weather, with limited vehicle support due to the terrain.

I lost my first home to the 16% mortgage interest rates, negative equity, debt collectors, and so far into the red with my mortgage I cringe now.

Respect needs to be shown at the passing of anyone's life in the civilized world, but the throwing of parties is in poor taste. And to Ronnie Campbell MP who complained this morning about the cost of recalling parliament, claim this weeks expenses Ronnie and donate them to charity you hypocrite.

Controversial in life, controversial on death - RIP

JoelP

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
As well as the high interest rates, one should also remember that inflation peaked at 27% in 1975. To bring this down, interest rates had to go up. You should be moaning at the dithering preceeding administrations that allowed it to rise so high in the first place.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scootz

posted on 15/4/13 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Good riddance, I only wish it had been a long lingering painful end...

I'm from a working-class background. I saw the devastation Thatchers battles with the miners had on the community around me. I've never been a fan of hers and will rail against some of her policies all day long.

Thatcher will go down as one of the most divisive UK leaders of all time, but the rhetoric being spouted on both sides of 'the debate' is just plain ridiculous. More fool anyone who sits stubbornly and fully on either side of the issue as the truth clearly lies somewhere in between. She presided over a lot of bad things... she presided over a lot of good things.

And let's be clear about something... the standard of living for most UK citizens gradually improved during her tenure.

It simply depresses me when seemingly intelligent folk come out with disgusting comments like the one I've quoted. Is that the type of Britain the Thatcher-despisers were hoping to build... one where it's acceptable to wish that a (now) harmless elderly lady - a mother - died a long and painful death!?

I want no part of it.

Shame on you!

It's Evolution Baby!

onenastyviper

posted on 15/4/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thatcher - an architipal (spelling?) politician, so much so that so many try to emulate something which they believe will bring them power and influence.

Politics is all about looking after yourself and where the laws of unintended consequences rule.

Take the coal strikes for example:

Unions had too much power
so Politicans had to act to regain control
so Unions counterattacked
so politicians counterattacked
so unions outmanouvered
so politicians prevailed
so politicians enacted to prevent reoccurrence
so country moved from local to global finance in order to remove/limit effects of internal disturbances
so country exposed to global changes which politicians could not affect
so now banks have too much power
so Politicians had to act to regain control
but politicians understood which side of their bread is buttered
so hammered the public instead of their paymasters

...and the same processes repeat ad-nauseum with only the scenery changing.

Anyway, ask yourself what is so special about Thatcher that she deserves full state honours but those killed in the line of duty have to do something exceptional to deserve the same?

Who is more deserving, the person that gives the order or the person that follows the order knowing the potential consequences?

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/4/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mrs. thatcher did wonders for a small island's economy.
Unfortunately, that island was Japan.
Coozer, I'm stunned to see that remark on here.
I personally despised her but would not wish a lingering painful death on anyone, having once witnessed it.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.