Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ford 2.0 DOHC ignition module wiring
tboneportly

posted on 18/5/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
ford 2.0 DOHC ignition module wiring

hiya

I've got a ford 2.0 DOHC motor, which has this module on it (pic attached). it's still wired up to the motor, so all the sensors are in place. It's a 1990 carb model motor out of a granada (or so I was told)

Does anyone have any ideas about how I go about connecting this up (to a lucas loom) please - or what the module actually is, as I can't find any numbers/codes on it at all!

what would be good is if I could get rid of this, replace the carb and coil etc. is this possible?

any help much appreciated!

cheers

Terry Rescued attachment ignition_module.jpg
Rescued attachment ignition_module.jpg

r1_pete

posted on 18/5/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
You could go wasted spark with the ford edis system and megajolt, have a look at autosport labs.

The sierra manual does have a clear wiring diagram for this module.

I was going to use the same engine as you, but folk on here talked (well laughed) me out of it, it is a fragile and not well respected unit, Zetec is a lighter and much better engine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tboneportly

posted on 18/5/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for that! I wouldn't use this motor from choice, but it's in the car and was running til I decided to re-wire the whole car (due to the appalling condition of the existing wiring and a slight meltdown of the dash earths )

got a hayes manual on the way, so maybe I can work it out from that, or it's plan B - change the motor for something with a few more ponies

big_wasa

posted on 18/5/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
You can fit the unit from the fiesta and go wasted spark. Very very easy to wire up and very cheap.

Just two wires, switched live and earth. Three plugs, one for the crank sensor and one for a coil pack and the other is for a temp sensor. Finally one small rubber pipe from the manifold to the esc.

[img][/img]

big_wasa

posted on 18/5/09 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
To add if your very local then I could nip around and work yours out
tboneportly

posted on 18/5/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
thanks mate - that diagram is really helpful on it's own. think I'm a bit too far away for popping round of an evening though!

my electrics knowledge is from the dark ages - I hadn't even heard of a coilpack until now

cheers

Terry

big_wasa

posted on 18/5/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring engines I enjoy more than anything.

Working on the standard mondeo injection at the min. That ecu has 60 pins Link This is the first wiring test to check ignition then on to the injection this week end.

Give me a u2 if you get really stuck and I will see what I can do.

tboneportly

posted on 23/5/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
right!

after far too many dirty, sticky hours I've unwrapped the loom and manually traced the wiring - what a mess!

what I have doesn't seem to match up with anything in the granada wiring diagrams, of course, but there's bits and pieces that do seem to be there...

I've left the wiring in place as the car was running fine, so technically I could just take the ignition supply (white) from the new loom to the coil and module and it should work. It does seem to be a bit of a bodge job though!

attached a diagram of what is wired to what - I'd love to know what the 2 pictured sensors / modules are if anyone knows

there is a also relay that the engine management and ignition supply connect to, that has power and earth from the battery, and 2 black wires connecting to a sensor on the thermostat housing, that controls the elctric fan - any ideas on this would be good too!

will put up a diagrams of the ignition circuit and relay too

cheers

Terry Rescued attachment engine-management-module-wiring.jpg
Rescued attachment engine-management-module-wiring.jpg

tboneportly

posted on 23/5/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
relay Rescued attachment engine-management-relay.jpg
Rescued attachment engine-management-relay.jpg

tboneportly

posted on 23/5/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
ignition circuit Rescued attachment ignition-circuit.jpg
Rescued attachment ignition-circuit.jpg

tboneportly

posted on 23/5/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
if I'm right and I can just connect the new ignition supply I'll try it that way first - and tidy up the wiring for the rest of it - much easier than starting from scratch!
tboneportly

posted on 4/6/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
running again!

thanks for the help. I ended up just using what was there and tidying it up a bit

started first go!

cheers

Terry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.