Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: digital dash
OX

posted on 13/6/04 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
digital dash

im after a digital dash,i like this one here but is there anything else like this out there
cheers
moggy

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/6/04 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
dash

take a look at this, OX
web address.
www.acumen-electronics.co.uk
new product sp700 £350 inc vat

AvonBelgium

posted on 14/6/04 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
AIM

Alfano

ady8077

posted on 14/6/04 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ox

Have a look at http://home.c2i.net/toratlel/
Theres a bloke on the Sevens list thats designed it, costs about £100 but you have to assemble it yourself

Adrian

albertz

posted on 15/6/04 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I had a look at the site you linked Adrian and it looks quite interesting. I have no knowledge of electronics at all, but i could probably find someone who has knowledge.

Is this a realistic option? Is it within the realms of the average Electronic Engineer to DIY at home? Has anyone on this Forum actually built one?

Jasper

posted on 15/6/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Also the Digidash, it's £600 (incl VAT) but comes with all necessary sensors and is a piece of p*ss to install:

http://www.etbinstruments.com/homepage.htm

albertz

posted on 15/6/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Surely £100 and a bit of graft is better than paying someone £600?? It is a Locost site after all

I dont really know what is involved yet with building this dash, but surely it is worth investigating?

It may well prove not to be worth bothering about, time and parts may outweigh the potential savings.

ned

posted on 15/6/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
There's always the digidash from an old astra gte, one on ebay at the moment for £29...

Ned.

ps for £600 surely you could nearly afford a bottom of the range stack system for the same money?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 15/6/04 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
OX take a peek at gordon's dash (mk-ninja photos). OK it's what I made for my car, but I'm thinking of knocking 'em out at £250 a pop. I'll send you more information if you want, & I'm sure Gordon will tell you what he thinks (warts & all). It has got through SVA successfully!
Bob C
Downside is I'm a bit slow making them...

Bob C

posted on 15/6/04 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
OK I give up - been trying to post a link to my photos section ( "Bob C" )headed "Electronic Dash" Is this not possible?
More data about the dash - the rpm display is completely updated every spark so it's true zero inertia - special for bike engines. In the same vein there's a gear indicator based on speed and revs (which actually works!) I'm quite pleased with it. Only trouble with an LED based dash is they have to be mounted right or you can't see the blessed things for the sunlight reflecting off 'em.
cheers
Bob

Mk-Ninja

posted on 15/6/04 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Try this (http://locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=Bob C&folder=Electronic Dash)

[Edited on 15:6:04 by Mk-Ninja]

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Mk-Ninja

posted on 15/6/04 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Dash works realy well. Only down side is realy bright sunlight, so Ive put a cowl round it for now. Will recess into dash when I replace it soon.
Gear indication is maybe the thing I check most (cant count to 6).
Only thing thats not working yet is the oil pressure, only because I havnt fitted the sender unit (Must get a T peice at Newark).
The speedo is as accurate as you can get all the way up to 70 at SVA.
Ill come down to show it you if your interested Moggy, or I should be at Newark in it as long as it dosnt rain

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

ady8077

posted on 15/6/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ox

I believe Dash7 is still in prototype, I think a couple have been built and are in K series c@terhams, aparently the main chip comes pre programed and its just a case of soldering it together and calibrating the sensors. I think the £100 covers all the bits to make the dash, and most of the sensors are already on most engines oil/water etc, the only bit extra would be a speed sensor. Tor Atle seems a knowlegable bloke on the Sevens list and quite a lot of c@therham and westy owners are keen

No connection but I would love one in my car

Adrian

albertz

posted on 16/6/04 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding the Dash7, i have been speaking to Tor Atle quite a bit over the past few days and he does seem to know what he is talking about.

I am planning going down this road and have spoken to my Electronics guru at work, who seems to think it is entirely possible and within the realms of a competent Instrument Technician or Electronis Engineer (of which i am neither!).

I'll keep you posted. If you want any further information, then use the link given above in this thread or email Tor Atle, he responds very quickly and is very helpful.

At £100 is has got to be worth a go??

By the way, i have absolutely no connection to this other than a genuine interest and a nose for a bargain.

OX

posted on 17/6/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
still not sure which one to go for ,i think i will wait untill its needed and see how much money i have left or how much i can scrape together

Mave

posted on 18/8/04 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone already have more experience with the Dash7? It looks like a very nice unit (although I would change the packaging).

Unfortunately I have never made something with a soldering iron....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mave

posted on 18/8/04 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
The guy's email doesn't seem to work... Bummer
bikkel

posted on 18/8/04 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
marcel

if you are looking for the designer of the dash 7

you might try toratlel@c2i.net

koen

www.zx12r-indy.tk

ChrisW

posted on 6/12/04 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
The 'dash7' is very interesting but there are no wiring diagrams for it on that site (unless anyone knows different) so it's a bit of a pig to see how it works.

One of these days I'll get my design finished....

Chris

My gaff my rules

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 6/12/04 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
wow. dash 7 looks great, proper bit of home made wizardry. will get in touch with tor soon, but in mean time are there any eager beavers importing the bots from electronics suppliers quoted (swedish company) or have managed to get equivelent cpc/rs/maplin part no's??
combine with megasquirt/jolt, you could knock up a pretty darn hi-tec wagon.
like it a lot and respect to those genii who get electronics...

Deckman001

posted on 6/12/04 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have passd on the details to my company's pcb guru who said he'd look at it, and would probably change a few bits to boot, he also gave me a quote for a finnished unit minus the lcd screen, will let you all know if anything comes of it

Jason

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 6/12/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
dont want to make any false promises, but may be able to get job lot of boards done. deckman, would obviously be better to do upgraded version, so please keep me in the loop.
interest?
would be couple of weeks at least so just testing the water.

Deckman001

posted on 6/12/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Will let you know, i think my guys might want to wait till the chip is avaliable , then we'll really be in business, might even be able to sell them to the dash 7 designer to sell on as a kit !! you never know, thinking back, the guy said something about a run of ten boards so will have a few extra anyway

Jason

RickyKay

posted on 7/12/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have read all the post regarding these digital dashboards and viewed all the sites and I must say I would be more than happy to purchase one of these dash 7 kits if and when they become available..
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 7/12/04 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
cool, cool. working on deciphering swedish BOM, then getting equivelent list. will leave boards to deckman for mo, but ready to roll. this is all of course if the guy who designed it doesnt want to do it himself. will keep you posted as always..
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.